TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The OEM unit is on the right, replaced by the one on the left.
I promised a JL style stall test: ( I wish I had known the man)
2nd gear, brake applied, we tach up to 4800, maybe a little more.
Since I changes gears and added trac lock at the same time, I can't say for sure how much improvement belongs to which components.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The converter I got was not really for a Cougar, but I was hoping to grow into it. I don't recall the exact frame size but it is for a heavier and more powerful 2003-4 Marauder, and supposed to stall at 3800-4200 in that car.
Dual drilled for 4.6 and 5.4, no flywheel change.
10.25" Diameter
Anti-balloon plated
High speed torrington bearings
Furnace brazed
Cobra grade lock up clutch

I like it very much but it really highlights the need for a proper tune for driveability. My trans is pretty good now (small miracle, thanks Jerry Weblowski) and worked flawlessly before the new converter. With the new converter it seems like the lock up is more pronounced, almost like extra shifts. Now, the shift points are way off (new gears too) like it wants 4th at 30mph with no throttle...nuisance stuff. And, now if I get on it moderately it smacks the limiter twice on the 1-2 and once on the 2-3. If I stand on it, it gets worse hitting the limiter 3 plus times, all in Drive no manual shifting.
Stalling at 4800 with a limiter at 5400 is pretty awkward, and first gear is over quickly. I am hoping to get a few things done early this year and get out to the track.
My priorities are to get 2 new M1109 drive hubs, 2) 245/40R17 tires or bigger on the front, get the driveshaft dynamic balanced, get a 4 wheel alignment done and finally tune the car PCM. Then we can run the car confidently, and start learning to drive it properly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.