·
Registered
799 Posts
that would be sweet....

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Repost.

Still a good looking design though. Ford axing Mercury was the dumbest thing they could have possibly done...

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Am I the only one that think those pics look like the new Charger/Challenger?

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
That was my first thought too. I do like the front and rear of the car although the body style and swoop on the car should change. We wouldn't want a Charger look alike.

They do need to do something with the name plate "Cougar" though, maybe in the new Lincoln Motor Company line up. Be nice to be rear drive, front engine long nose and classic sporty.

Probably never see it though.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Repost.

Still a good looking design though. Ford axing Mercury was the dumbest thing they could have possibly done...
If you're gonna call :repost: please provide a link to the original post/thread so that I can merge these threads.

Yes, I'd have to agree that Ford killing Mercury was a dumb move from a sentimental stand point, although I'm sure it made perfect financial sense to them...

No, I was thinking the same thing. Although the tail lights look mustang.
+1

That was my first thought too. I do like the front and rear of the car although the body style and swoop on the car should change. We wouldn't want a Charger look alike.

They do need to do something with the name plate "Cougar" though, maybe in the new Lincoln Motor Company line up. Be nice to be rear drive, front engine long nose and classic sporty.

Probably never see it though.
Yup. Never gonna happen. The closest thing we're gonna get to a new T-Bird or Cougar is the 2014.5 (2015) Fiftieth Anniversary Mustang with an IRS. Which, from what I've seen, I like very much.

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
I think it was posted in the year of the Thunderbird thread, I'm looking and writing out this long winded reply as we speak, so bear with me...

Mercury's only reason for existence since the 60s has been the Cougar. The minute the plug was pulled on it(or put on a shortened Mondeo) they lost that flagship and Mercury was left exposed for exactly what it was; A lineup of cars indistinguishable from Their Ford equivalent, less the badge front and center. Mercury has been that way since the Edsel debacle and would have probably been axed by the 80s if it weren't for Lee Iacocca creating the Cougar as a smaller personal car(soon later, personal luxury).

Prior to the 60s, Lincoln had distinct bodies and even engines, Mercurys of the early 50s actually shared this trait with them and were significantly more exclusive than a comparable Ford(hence "junior Lincoln"). Edsel was the ill fated stopgap to bridge Ford and Mercury and when that failed, Mercury was repositioned and solidified as a division of fancy Fords(even rebadging would-be Edsel models like the Comet) and so began its death spiral. When the Cougar arrived it instantly became the brand flagship, it was purposely made more distinct in key areas to lesson the obvious badge job effect of... say ...a grandmarquissabletopazlynxcapri beside it. Marketing even went so far as to badge the entire intermediate lineup as Cougars from 1977-1982 and continue use "the sign of the cat" as the division's slogan for several years after.

To call axing Mercury the dumbest thing Ford could have done is pretty short sighted. Yes, I and many others love the Cougar but the Mercury division behind it, with few exceptions, was always a lazy, redundant, insipid money grab from loyal customers thinking they really did get a "better" Fusion for the money:rolleyes: The Cougar was the crutch that made that sustainable.

Lincoln isn't any better.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Who said it was the dumbest thing Ford could have done? You're taking what I said way out of context.

Yea, I agree with what you said. It's the long winded version of what I said.

I'm holding out for the 2015 Mustang. :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
Who said it was the dumbest thing Ford could have done? You're taking what I said way out of context.

Yea, I agree with what you said. It's the long winded version of what I said.

I'm holding out for the 2015 Mustang. :tongue:
That was in response to Conner's post that you quoted. The only thing I'd nitpick from your post is the financial sense part. I genuinely think EVERY sense pointed to >>>KILL MERCURY NOW<<< lol

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
That was in response to Conner's post that you quoted. The only thing I'd nitpick from your post is the financial sense part. I genuinely think EVERY sense pointed to >>>KILL MERCURY NOW<<< lol
Kill them now or actually make them a functioning car company. I don't believe that one car company (Lincoln) can compete with both entry level soft luxury and higher end sports luxury car companies. Mercury could have competed with Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, and Buick, while Lincoln competes with BMW, Mercedes Benz, Audi, Jaguar, and Cadillac. Ford just needed to actually spend money making Lincoln/Mercury vehicles actually different.

Its why Mercury existed in the first place, so Ford could compete with Chevrolet, Lincoln could compete with Cadillac, and Mercury filled in the gap against Oldsmobile and Buick. There's a big difference between the mid level luxury market and the higher end market, and honestly Lincoln hasn't been a higher end luxury car since the Mark VIII. After the Lincoln LS got canned they couldn't even compete with Lexus.

So now this is where they are stuck. All of the current Lincolns are what the Mercury line-up should have been. Quiet mid-level luxury cars. Lincoln should compete with BMW and Cadillac with better cars with better engineering. Unfortunately rather than "reach(ing) higher" they are grasping at strings...

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I agree, the current Lincoln line up should have become mercury, and instead of selling off jaguar, the new jag line should have been Lincoln...have you seen the new post Ford jaguar??!??

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
Kill them now or actually make them a functioning car company. I don't believe that one car company (Lincoln) can compete with both entry level soft luxury and higher end sports luxury car companies. Mercury could have competed with Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, and Buick, while Lincoln competes with BMW, Mercedes Benz, Audi, Jaguar, and Cadillac. Ford just needed to actually spend money making Lincoln/Mercury vehicles actually different.

Its why Mercury existed in the first place, so Ford could compete with Chevrolet, Lincoln could compete with Cadillac, and Mercury filled in the gap against Oldsmobile and Buick. There's a big difference between the mid level luxury market and the higher end market, and honestly Lincoln hasn't been a higher end luxury car since the Mark VIII. After the Lincoln LS got canned they couldn't even compete with Lexus.

So now this is where they are stuck. All of the current Lincolns are what the Mercury line-up should have been. Quiet mid-level luxury cars. Lincoln should compete with BMW and Cadillac with better cars with better engineering. Unfortunately rather than "reach(ing) higher" they are grasping at strings...
So in the midst of the worst economic climate in several decades, Ford should reach higher and dump Billions into developing a car that will only sell in low volume? Making them a functioning car company will take that kind of investment, thus make it a big risk, especially if buyers are still soured on the Lincoln nameplate and don't buy it. None of Ford's current platforms (including the long in tooth Aussie Falcon we all like to glamorize here) will give Lincoln a serious competitor to a BASIC Cadillac, Mercedes, Audi or BMW either so it would be pretty difficult to even test the waters.

Then the plan is absorb the current Lincoln lineup into a reinvented Mercury division? I'm sure those currently unsaleable cars will do much better with the new Mercury emblems.

Wait a minute, I have an idea! A new division should be created atop Lincoln! That'll solve the name stagnation that seems to be a problem. We can call it "Continental" to nod the heritage and give it a highly expensive model on the level of the best luxury cars on the market. We'll call it the "Mark II"! Since this is the second time we've done this.

Now once this new division is established, we can reinvigorate both Lincoln AND Mercury with all new well engineered chassis', with Lincoln receiving better engines and drivelines. Of course This will leave a gap with regular ol' Ford and Mercury now. Maybe create another stopgap division with a mix of Ford and Mercury? Maybe name it after someone directly related to Henry Ford himself, like a son or something? Sounds like a plan, especially with some suggestive front end styling choices!

What can possibly go wrong? :tongue:

This isn't the 1930s anymore. Multiple buffer divisions have been rendered unnecessary by standard equipment creep and thus the the Sloan hierarchy is eroded to the point that a Chevrolet isn't much different than a Buick(in fact many are based on the same rebadged Opels. Hence why GM has half the divisions it did 30 years ago, and a third of it did another 30 years before. You don't see ANY automaker adding divisions today because multiple divisions with multiple model lineups are redundant.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
That's pretty cool. Looks kinda like a mustang platform.
That would make sense, since the original Cougar was a upscale Mustang.

With a few twists, true, but you'd be surprised how much my 1967 Mustang had in it that came out of a Cougar in the yard :diablo:

RwP

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I agree, the current Lincoln line up should have become mercury, and instead of selling off jaguar, the new jag line should have been Lincoln...have you seen the new post Ford jaguar??!??
Yeah its all MN12 derived DEW98 stuff, still. And they are doing amazing things with it! :tongue:

So in the midst of the worst economic climate in several decades, Ford should reach higher and dump Billions into developing a car that will only sell in low volume? Making them a functioning car company will take that kind of investment, thus make it a big risk, especially if buyers are still soured on the Lincoln nameplate and don't buy it. None of Ford's current platforms (including the long in tooth Aussie Falcon we all like to glamorize here) will give Lincoln a serious competitor to a BASIC Cadillac, Mercedes, Audi or BMW either so it would be pretty difficult to even test the waters.

Then the plan is absorb the current Lincoln lineup into a reinvented Mercury division? I'm sure those currently unsaleable cars will do much better with the new Mercury emblems.

Wait a minute, I have an idea! A new division should be created atop Lincoln! That'll solve the name stagnation that seems to be a problem. We can call it "Continental" to nod the heritage and give it a highly expensive model on the level of the best luxury cars on the market. We'll call it the "Mark II"! Since this is the second time we've done this.

Now once this new division is established, we can reinvigorate both Lincoln AND Mercury with all new well engineered chassis', with Lincoln receiving better engines and drivelines. Of course This will leave a gap with regular ol' Ford and Mercury now. Maybe create another stopgap division with a mix of Ford and Mercury? Maybe name it after someone directly related to Henry Ford himself, like a son or something? Sounds like a plan, especially with some suggestive front end styling choices!

What can possibly go wrong? :tongue:

This isn't the 1930s anymore. Multiple buffer divisions have been rendered unnecessary by standard equipment creep and thus the the Sloan hierarchy is eroded to the point that a Chevrolet isn't much different than a Buick(in fact many are based on the same rebadged Opels. Hence why GM has half the divisions it did 30 years ago, and a third of it did another 30 years before. You don't see ANY automaker adding divisions today because multiple divisions with multiple model lineups are redundant.
Ford had DEW98 which they retardedly sold along with Jaguar who now make fantastic automobiles on it...

Or how about me make this clearer...

This could have been the 2007 Lincoln LS...

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
So grille engineering now? I'm sure the auto blogs won't rip them apart and make Versailles references for that! The DEW98 is long in tooth as well, Ford will still need to make significant investment if they want a real German fighter for years to come(The XF as it stands barely is).

And you keep preaching ALL Jags are DEW based, ONLY the XF is. The XJ and XK are totally unrelated Jag designs.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
So grille engineering now? I'm sure the auto blogs won't rip them apart and make Versailles references for that! The DEW98 is long in tooth as well, Ford will still need to make significant investment if they want a real German fighter for years to come(The XF as it stands barely is).

And you keep preaching ALL Jags are DEW based, ONLY the XF is. The XJ and XK are totally unrelated Jag designs.
I didn't mean build exactly the same freaking car Jaguar did. My point is they could have easily built a car like the XF that looked like a Lincoln.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I think the other issue is the price point of current vehicles is absolutely insane, I don't know how people afford anything these days

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Personally I think Lincoln should be targeted straight at Jag. Drop the MK names and bring back the Zephyr (XF/3seris/C class), Continental (5series/E class) TownCar(7series/XJ) and Mark Series (XK, S/CL class). I know its just a pipe dream but better than where they're at now.

I still believe Ford should rename SVT as Mercury.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts