TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my father and I decided to purchase something economical and practical.
After looking on the web, he was set on a 1999 Subaru Outback.
It has 100k miles, All Wheel Drive, 2.5 Boxer engine mated to a 4 speed automatic, and it only cost us 2500 dollars.
Insurance is being taken off my T-bird and it will become my little project car to work on.
I want to do a PI swap to it eventually.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Neat! I have a red 1998 Legacy Wagon that looks almost identical to that! Can't beat all-wheel-drive and 30+ mpg with these cars! I think mine has the 2.2L engine, not the bigger 2.5L

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nice buy !! I also just bought a Subaru... '01 Forester. You got a great deal as I paid a little more and have 192k. What kind of MPGs are you getting?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice buy !! I also just bought a Subaru... '01 Forester. You got a great deal as I paid a little more and have 192k. What kind of MPGs are you getting?
First Fill up was roughly 22mpg carryover from the previous owner.
KBB said this vehicle, in nice condition, was around 4000 dollars. My car has a few dents and dings but otherwise, it was a good deal for the price.

My Thunderbird was a better deal though. I bought it in June of 2010 for 1 grand. It had 124k then (137k now). Condition was very immaculate and KBB placed it at 3 grand then. :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have heard some good things about them, but if you are able to get 30 MPG with an awd that is a dream come true.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I've always liked Subarus and my wife and several friends drive them. Some are tuners but more just use them for what they are -- utilitarian vehicles with AWD capabilities (great for CO -- where my mother in law lives).

I suspect that once we have our first kid or when one of my existing cars dies, one of our sedans (the Audi or the Honda) will get replaced with an Impreza wagon. My wife will drive that car and I'll drive one of the other two into the ground.

-g

PS. In recent years, the fuel economy of the Subarus have lagged their car (but not necessarily their light-SUV) competitors. Now that they finally have direct injection engines and CVT transmissions, this has changed. The Subaru XV Crosstrek (essentially a lifted Impreza wagon made to look like a light SUV) has both and nets over 30MPG highway. Great car (and my MIL's next car after her Forester).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts