TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 92 lexus ls400 one owner car from a business associate. It has 99k and has been sitting in a garage for about five years. No rust or body damage. Do any of you car gurus on here know anything about these things? I've only owned a 1980 toyota and i was a beater. I know it will need brakes and tires he wants $3500. Can i work on the brakes? Is it worth it?

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
Yes you can work on the brakes, and personally I wouldn't spend $3500 on a car that has been sitting for 5 years. Figure that everything on the car that is made of rubber probably needs to be replaced, so new tires, timing belt, drive belts, hoses, bushings, weatherstripping, and all that before dealing with the electrical gremlins that have made that car their home over the last 5 years. If the car looks to be in good shape, it might be worth about $2500, but even then you are taking a bit of a gamble.

·
Super Moderator
16,819 Posts
Not much different than getting an MN12 of the same vintage. Like Mikey said all the rubber stuff, ball joints, even strut rod bushings(IIRC, I think the LS uses those). I can't speak for that car but the only Toyota/Lexus specific issue my dad has had with his GS are the door lock actuators. All 4 randomly failed before 100k

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I doubt he would let it go for 2500 if he is asking 3500. The whole 'Toyota's run forever' has gone wayyy too far I'm finding mid 90's camry's with 200k miles asking price: '$5,000.' "This car will never die"....

It's worth a shot tho if its really been taking care of it will last you. Miles aren't bad just take a good look at it. Drive it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The thing I would question is did it sit, unstarted, unmoved for those 5 years or was it regularly started and moved? That would make the big difference of me offering $2000 or $2500. $3500 is a far stretch with a car that's sat that long.

That's the problem with people nowadays. Everyone thinks they have gold in cars. I'm sorry but if someone was trying to sell me a mid 90's Camry with 200K for $5k I would tell them to light up another fat bowl. Not a lot of people are buying new, so the used market goes up. I remember when I could get $500 cars that lasted me over a year, with a little amount of parts and spit shine. Now, those days are LONG gone(and I'm not talking all that long ago, maybe 3-4 years), and those $500 cars are now $2000 cars. Inflation my ass!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I'm gonna make y'all sick. We bought a maroon Lexus SC400 that kept overheating for $300. That's the one that the harmonic balancer was broken (if you remember that story I told on here). Dan sold the car after we fixed it for $2000; I'm almost positive it was a 92.

These days with cars being thought of as gold; well, most know they can drop it off at the salvage yard and get $300-$400 for it - that's part of the reason.

$500 cars? Shoot, I bought at LEAST 4 cars for $50-$75 that I drove for a long time starting about 20 years ago. The 72 Toyota Corolla I bought for $50 - it needed a battery, the 71 Maverick I bought for $50 - it needed a battery and a brake system flush, the 78 Pinto for $75 that I put a clutch into, and 69 Grand Prix for $75 that needed an engine.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I think my best 'cheap' car was my 84 2 door, 5 speed Tempo. I bought it for $100, swapped rims and tires cause it had to crap metric tires on it that were like $150 each(bought 4 good tires and rims for $50), spray bombed it and drove it for 2 years with no trouble.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I can see how anybody around here under 30 years old can't remember truly "cheap cars". Around 15 years ago, they started the downhill slide although at the shop, Dan still picks up cars all the time $100-$300.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help guys, I think I'll steer clear of this one and keep an eye out for a newer rwd ford. I just need something comfortable to move my 77 year old mother back and forth in. She has a hard time getting in and out of the t-birds and the back seats are a pain.

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
Look for a crown vic. Those make great daily drivers, they are cheap, they will run forever, they ride great, and have plenty of room for hauling people around.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
+1 for the crown vic. My roommate got his dad's 2002 grand marquis with 250k+ miles on it and it drives like a dream. I was very surprised when I found out the miles were that high, so it will run forever. The only thing I would say is to stay away from the retired police cars, BUT that's just me... I have heard of many people picking them up for dirt cheap and getting another 100k miles out of them with some simple maintenance. Overall great cars tho..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts