10,910 Posts
That's pretty damn cool!!

But what does it cost?

:grin2:

·
Registered
92 Posts
SOMMM ***** !!!!!
I just got my trans put back together.. Engine and trans are mated but not in yet... so could go crazy and pull it apart if that drum is cheap ..lol..
I mean I already have "ALTO" Red Eagle clutches and Koleen Steels, "Alto" Red Eagle Power Pack in the direct drum, 300m Billet input shaft, Sunnax billet forward drum with high capacity and 300m intermediate shaft, "Alto" Red Eagle OD band, and Kevlar 1st-Rev band, extra capacity plate in the revers drum, Superior Billet 2-3 accumulator, OD Super Servo, Sonnax valve body upgrades, 2500 triple disk billet converter, and SFI flywheel.... So.... DAM IT !!!!! I want it..>:)
Oh well I need to put the bird back together soon so no dice.
Guess I'll wait and see if I kill it playing, After all I did take off the blower so it will be fine right .. but I'm adding a progressive 150 shot .. :wink2:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'd guess $350 for Drum and Sun gear

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I'll have to find out what that sun gear is made out of. My feeling is that they shifted the failure point from the shaft and drum snout to the thinner walled hollow tube of the sun gear. Particularly on applications like we are seeing nowadays like crazy stuff in cars, and trucks, weighing over 4k that have a true 1500whp and owners who can't stand life without a transbrake. I'm not really keen on the idea of that hollow tube getting even thinner walls in those circumstances. No matter the material.

I'll be at PRI and talking to them about it tomorrow.

What was funny was they had the 3D printed plastic drum prototype on their table there maybe 2 years ago. When he handed it to me and asked what I thought, I said something like "That's great, how do you get that shaft through the sun gear?" I didn't get an answer, just a funny look.

2 years later and now we know. Myself, I would prefer to have a forward drum made to use a smaller diameter spline on an intermediate shaft that will fit through a thicker wall sun gear. But that would definitely price a LOT of people out since it would add the cost of a VERY custom forward drum.

Stay tuned. Time will prove it out. I'm registering my bet that it fails at lower power levels than the setups we have been doing now with a 300M intermediate shaft and a drum with a 300M center welded into it. We will see.

D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Darrin, Did you get to check out the sun gear they will be offering? Just curious if you did and what you think about it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Well, I looked it over really well and we'll see. The drum looks like a nice piece.

And the shaft is "20 times stronger than stock" as I was told by all of them, repeatedly, that I spoke to.

D

·
Super Moderator
10,910 Posts
Now that this is fixed, what snaps next? :)

I wish I still had the pic of the shaft snapped into three pieces; that takes some doing.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I don't know that it's "fixed" as such with this product. I've been able to handle above 1000whp for a LONG time now with a 300M intermediate shaft and a direct drum thata has a 300M center welded into it.

So that great solution has been there and may still end up being the most economically feasible choice, or at least around the same price point, based on my impression of what the Sonnax pieces will likely have to cost.

D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts