TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading through several threads of MT swaps since I'm planning on doing a 5spd swap of my own....if I can source a set of pedals. Otherwise, I'm just going to get my AT rebuilt with 3200 stall, J-Mod, and *hopefully* tailshaft lube mod. But I'd much rather do a 5spd swap as it will better fit the type of driving I will be doing.

As we all know, SC pedals are getting harder and harder to find. The other day, I came across a post on one of the two MN12 / FN10 Facebook sale pages that had a set of pedals for sale (clutch and brake) that came out of his FN10. After talking with the guy selling the parts, he said that the pedals came originally from a "New Edge" SN95 Mustang ('99 - '04). After reading through several threads, I've come to see that the Mustang pedals are pretty much a no-go, save for a bunch of custom fab work that I don't know how to do and very likely don't have the tools for. Here's the thing though, every clutch pedal thread I read said, "Mustang pedals don't work". However, I found no thread that specifically said, "SN95 Mustang pedals don't work" or "SN95-2 / 'New Edge' Mustang pedals don't work" or "All SN95 / SN95-2 Mustang clutch pedals won't work".

My question to you guys is, will ANY Mustang clutch pedals work? This is what he's sent me. I'm not sure if these will work, and he's told me that the donor car was an 03 Mustang.

·
Super Moderator
7,551 Posts
I remember when I was a kid and first getting into modifying cars. My grandfather was the only one in the family who had ever done engine swaps and things like that before, so I would always ask him things like "Can I swap a big block into my car?" or "Could I make my car have T-tops instead of a sunroof" or "What would it take to make my car faster than a Lamborghini?" One day he told me "Michael, you can do anything you want. If you wanted to, with enough time and money, you could take this bottlecap (he held up the tin bottlecap from his beer he was drinking), and turn it into a 747 Jet, but at some point in the process, you would likely realize it would be cheaper and easier to just go buy a 747."

Mustang pedals are a bottlecap. It is an attractive thought to use them because they are cheap and plentiful. Installing them into an MN12 however, is a 747. It will cost you lots of time, energy, and money to make them work, and somewhere along the way, after you have dealt with different brake booster mounting holes, different brake pedal ratios, trying to mount and route a clutch cable through a boxed section of the firewall, cutting away structure of the dash and/or the car to make room for the quadrant, and cutting and welding the pedal arms themselves to get the height of the pedals right, somewhere in all of that, you will be asking yourself "why the hell didn't I just spring the $250 for an SC clutch pedal setup?"

Transmission Parts for the 1989 - 1993 Thunderbird SC Super Coupe - TBSCSHOP.COM

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I've been reading through several threads of MT swaps since I'm planning on doing a 5spd swap of my own....if I can source a set of pedals. Otherwise, I'm just going to get my AT rebuilt with 3200 stall, J-Mod, and *hopefully* tailshaft lube mod. But I'd much rather do a 5spd swap as it will better fit the type of driving I will be doing.

As we all know, SC pedals are getting harder and harder to find. The other day, I came across a post on one of the two MN12 / FN10 Facebook sale pages that had a set of pedals for sale (clutch and brake) that came out of his FN10. After talking with the guy selling the parts, he said that the pedals came originally from a "New Edge" SN95 Mustang ('99 - '04). After reading through several threads, I've come to see that the Mustang pedals are pretty much a no-go, save for a bunch of custom fab work that I don't know how to do and very likely don't have the tools for. Here's the thing though, every clutch pedal thread I read said, "Mustang pedals don't work". However, I found no thread that specifically said, "SN95 Mustang pedals don't work" or "SN95-2 / 'New Edge' Mustang pedals don't work" or "All SN95 / SN95-2 Mustang clutch pedals won't work".

My question to you guys is, will ANY Mustang clutch pedals work? This is what he's sent me. I'm not sure if these will work, and he's told me that the donor car was an 03 Mustang.

Take out your seat and stick your head under the dashboard. You'll see that our three pedals are all attached separately. Not bundled together in one assembly like what you got. As was said above, you "can" make them work, but it takes a lot of fabrication to do so.

Ever notice in the threads where some guy with very few posts comes in and says, "I got it to work, it was easy" they never, ever post pictures? They'll email them to you they say, so long as you promise not to post them. Why? What reason is there to not post them up? To keep someone else from copying your plan? That's stupid, because since we're such a small group of people, we ALL copy off each other in some way. It's part of our community. One of us learns something, we share it, and those of us who want that do the same, or tweak it slightly to suit our needs. Look at OxmanWI's Coyote swap, he is very forthcoming with pictures, and I bet there are a ton of us who want to follow suit and use his experience as a guide. Same with every manual swap.

Unless someone has these fabled Fox pedals in a MN-12/FN-10 pictures and can post them, I'm going to call bullshit on it.

Now I am mildly curious if 05+ pedals may be adaptable, as that platform shares a lot more with the MN-12 than the SN-95/New Edge did. I doubt it, but I have never looked either.

Did some google image searching, the S197 assembly isn't much different from the Fox assembly. My search for S550's came up with Mercedes pedals.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
So, from the linked pic, the SC pedal has the pivot at the top, and presses on the master cylinder in the middle, before the bend in the pedal.

The MC is a straight shot thru the firewall, and fits in the hole in the pedal.

Is that right?

·
Super Moderator
7,551 Posts
Yup.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember when I was a kid and first getting into modifying cars. My grandfather was the only one in the family who had ever done engine swaps and things like that before, so I would always ask him things like "Can I swap a big block into my car?" or "Could I make my car have T-tops instead of a sunroof" or "What would it take to make my car faster than a Lamborghini?" One day he told me "Michael, you can do anything you want. If you wanted to, with enough time and money, you could take this bottlecap (he held up the tin bottlecap from his beer he was drinking), and turn it into a 747 Jet, but at some point in the process, you would likely realize it would be cheaper and easier to just go buy a 747."

Mustang pedals are a bottlecap. It is an attractive thought to use them because they are cheap and plentiful. Installing them into an MN12 however, is a 747. It will cost you lots of time, energy, and money to make them work, and somewhere along the way, after you have dealt with different brake booster mounting holes, different brake pedal ratios, trying to mount and route a clutch cable through a boxed section of the firewall, cutting away structure of the dash and/or the car to make room for the quadrant, and cutting and welding the pedal arms themselves to get the height of the pedals right, somewhere in all of that, you will be asking yourself "why the hell didn't I just spring the $250 for an SC clutch pedal setup?"

Transmission Parts for the 1989 - 1993 Thunderbird SC Super Coupe - TBSCSHOP.COM
That site is on my favorites and check it semi-regularly :). Haven't seen any SC pedals there for some time.

And Money can make anything happen, I know. But it's something I don't have much of (yet), and even when I do, I don't want to spend Money's close cousin, Time, on something. I'll settle with a K.I.S.S. from both Money and Time and rebuild my AT as I said in my OP.

Take out your seat and stick your head under the dashboard. You'll see that our three pedals are all attached separately. Not bundled together in one assembly like what you got. As was said above, you "can" make them work, but it takes a lot of fabrication to do so.

Ever notice in the threads where some guy with very few posts comes in and says, "I got it to work, it was easy" they never, ever post pictures? They'll email them to you they say, so long as you promise not to post them. Why? What reason is there to not post them up? To keep someone else from copying your plan? That's stupid, because since we're such a small group of people, we ALL copy off each other in some way. It's part of our community. One of us learns something, we share it, and those of us who want that do the same, or tweak it slightly to suit our needs. Look at OxmanWI's Coyote swap, he is very forthcoming with pictures, and I bet there are a ton of us who want to follow suit and use his experience as a guide. Same with every manual swap.

Unless someone has these fabled Fox pedals in a MN-12/FN-10 pictures and can post them, I'm going to call bullshit on it.

Now I am mildly curious if 05+ pedals may be adaptable, as that platform shares a lot more with the MN-12 than the SN-95/New Edge did. I doubt it, but I have never looked either.

Did some google image searching, the S197 assembly isn't much different from the Fox assembly. My search for S550's came up with Mercedes pedals.
Yea, I saw that thread. That guy was on something, and it's not like it's an NDA thing because he's just re-inventing the wheel.

If someone could just 3D print the damn thing, that'd be most epic. :D

·
Super Moderator
7,551 Posts
If you clicked on the link I posted, there is a clutch pedal on that site for sale right now.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
They have a listing for it, but it's out of stock.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
If someone could just 3D print the damn thing, that'd be most epic. :D
If we could get one, disassemble it, and scan it, we Could 3D print it; or pay to have it printed.

100% fill nylon would probably work, if someone beefed up the design.

All the cars I have have the dimples for the holes for the pedal. >:)

Equivalent master and slave cylinders are available in the aftermarket, I believe.

:grin2:

Acxtually, what we need is a good pair of M/S cylinders, and mod the part to fit in solidworks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Has anyone looked at a full tilton setup?
I ask because it seems like getting a compact overhung tilton with adjustable brake bias would be the best solution... ("just" gotta get it to fit...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts