TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background

#1 the pedal feels waayyy to easy to push compared to with the original engine.

#2 when the car is off, the pedal action is smooth, when the engine is running, the pedal action has some hard spots.

#3 when idleing the engine reacts to pedal input normally

#4 when dirving, the car will rev up and stick there even when you let off the pedal.

for instance, I came to a stop sign and when I let off the gas it stayed at ~2200 rpm and kept chugging. I tapped the pedal real quick and let off and it shot to ~5000 rpm.

It lit up the tires and hammered through the stop sign. Good thing its in a rural area. When this happened I heard a whine coming from under the hood, what I take to be a major vacuum leak.

But when the car is parked and idleing I can't detect a leak anywhere and it idles at ~800rpm. The idle does surge every now and then by about 75-100 rpm.

I've tested every vac and intake line and I can't find a leak.

I'm thinking maybe the damn intake gasket is leaking somehow? I don't see how though, I can't really put it on wrong since the locating tabs have to seat in the head. and there is no antifreeze around the intake.

I'm stumped.

No check engine lights either.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
You might think I am a "Richard" for saying this....but did you remember to put your throttle return spring back on the throttle body. Cause thats what it sounds like to me, check and make sure its there. If thats not it, check the throttle body gasket.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it most definately has a spring on it

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
The feel of the throttle has changed on my car as well...it is much more sensitive than it used to be. My thought was the throttle return spring as well in your case with your problems, but that is a duh type thing...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
did you try spraying gum cutter around the intake?......to see if it leaking?....i think thats another duh comment.....but i wanna see this bad boy runing 100% :(

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DOH! I did forget to put the spring on

nows a good time for the "I'm with stupid" smilie rofl.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Don't feel too bad I left the trottle return spring off too the first time out. Other than that how do you like it?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cougar281 said:
How about some updated pics of the complete project?
yeah sorry for the delay, I keep leaving my digicam in my apt up at college and I work on my car about 2 hours away at my parent's house. I'll take a ton of pics get some part #'s from McMAster carr and do a MAJOR update to my pic thread. I did things a little different than what i've seen on this board so I will point it out.

TIMB-

I only drove it down the road, it was scary not being able to make it slow down, my brakes were no match for that engine at 5000 rpm!

It definately has more power, from a 20mph roll when the engine snapped up to 5000 rpm it lit up the tires, I've never been able to do that before.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I was dead on the money on the first try....What do I win ?!?!?:znanner:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
whats your j-mod done to?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'am with stupid:ztoohot: