TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. it happened. I swapped the 96 cougar engine that was in my car for an 05 crown vic engine. If anyone recalls, this is the 4th engine that's been in this car. The first one was a 97 bird engine that lost compression on 3 and 5, the second and 03 crown vic that had a rod knock on the first start up, then a 96 cougar engine that developed a knock after about 5k. This one is hopefully the last one I'll drop in. Usually I would clean it up and paint it, but I just wanted it done, so I spent my day off (hottest day of the year I might add) and swapped it in.
This is engine 4...

·
Administrator
8,009 Posts
Best of luck with your latest addition! You must be a pro by now getting them in and out! :D

Joe

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Hopefully this one lasts a little longer.

It is a little troubling to have that many semi-related failures. The mod motor is pretty bulletproof, even when beat on. 205k carefree easy miles in my 2000 Grand Marquis, but 110,000 pretty rough miles in my 97 Cougar.

Is it a maintenance problem or running them low/out of oil or something like that?

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
Glad to see you got it up and running. You have had more trouble with blowing up 4.6s than anyone else I've ever seen. Hopefully this one lasts you a long time.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea i can knock em out pretty quickly now lol. I do it a different way every time though. This time I unbolted the motor mount from the block so the engine could move more freely. Definitely worth the extra 30 min to get those bolts out. I also learned that the cv torque converter bolts sit more towards the center of the flexplate, but it has the holes already drilled for the bird pattern too. I'm not the kind to get mad at things I can't change I take life as a learning experience

1 - 5 of 5 Posts