TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to do a true dual setup on my 95 bird.

I was wondering if they made headers for the 4.6 that will work in a bird?

Also, what is the best way about doing a complete exhaust?

I want to remove the stock cats and go with a set of hi flow cats, and then true duals past that.

I was looking in summit, and in jegs they both have cat back kits for a t-bird. Do you think it would be cheaper to just pic up a kit or should I go to a shop?

I think summit and jegs want $250-$300 for their kits plus another $120-$150 for the hiflow cats.

I need to check locally and see how much a shop would charge as well.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
the catback only replaces the intermediate pipe and the mufflers.

research your area exhaust shops. There are alot of places that will not touch the catalytic converters unless the OE replacement is going in. Then there are other shops that will design and entirely new system for you that suits what you're looking for.

personally id get a custom dual system made from the exhaust manifolds back, 2 high flow cats and a decent set of mufflers.

good luck

·
5,650 Posts
The only headers for the 4.6L MN12s are made by JBA and Kooks. The JBAs have had longevity issues in the past. Kooks are the best "header" solution, but they are only mid-length. No long tube headers exist that drop in. Without a wildly modified engine, you'll be fine with just doing the exhaust piping and leaving the manifolds in place. In my case, I have a mildly modified engine and am using some ported factory exhaust manifolds. They work very well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the link, and thanks for the other ideas. I think I will take it to a shop and get a price just so I can see what the price difference will be between a shop and a DIY kit.

thanks

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
well either way your going to have to go to a shop because that kits got to be welded. i guaruntee it will be cheaper to do it at a shop my friend paid 250 for high flow cats and flowmaster muffler but it went to a single halfway. i think its gonna be pretty pricey to do the whole thing i know just to weld on mufflers and new hangars it was 60 for me

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been looking at the dynomax, and the magnaflow Cats. Is any one here using anyone of these cats? Is one brand better then the other?

The price defference between the two is pretty close.
I believe that they both are around $60-70 per cat.

Also, what about the rest of the exhaust? What size pipe should I go with 2.25 or 2.5"??

I am also having a hard time with choosing a set of mufflers.

I am looking for something that is quiet while idleing and pretty mellow while crusing, but when I get down on it i want something that has a good tone.

Anybody have any opinions or ideas??

thanks,
Jusitn

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
dynomax bullets

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
i meant ultraflow bullet

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been looking at that muffler cause I like the idea of having a built in X but how loud is it? do you have a sound clip of a vid?

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Its not installed yet but I have the Hi-flow magnaflow cats to go with it. The exhaust is the very last piece of my puzzle. First Engine and trans then exhaust. I have searched for clips on you tube for similar muff set ups. The closest I could find on youtube was a stock v8 truck with a single pipe dynomax ultra flow series and it wasn't loud. So I guess I could expect similar volumes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ordered the cats tonight, they will be in on friday, and I am having the new exhaust put on Sat.

I will post pics and a vid over the weekend.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took the car to two shops yesterday, and both shops gave me some lame excuse on why they couldnt mess with the stock converters.

I was looking on ebay for T-Bird exhaust kits, and came across this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGNAFLOW-FORD-THUNDERBIRD-CATALYTIC-CONVERTER-DIRECT-F_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem110290639349QQitemZ110290639349

The price is kinda high, but I was wondering if anyone else used that set up before? Also, does anyone know where I can get it cheaper?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts