TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Magnaflow catback system installed recently. It starts at the part where you can unbolt the stock exhaust right behind the 3rd cat, and goes 3" (I think, it may actually be 2.5") pipe to the rear where it splits off to 2.25" pipe to each muffler.

I asked the guy who put it in if it would be worth it to do a di/do 3rd cat and dual all the way back. He said it wouldn't really make a difference for the extra price of the cat.

The exhaust sounds good at idle. It's not that loud, but definitely has a deeper grumble. Once I get under way, it kind of sounds like a V6, like it's running at a higher RPM. Bottom line, it doesn't really sound like a V8 should. I know it is a small V8, but it still doesn't sound quite right to me.

One, does anyone know what I mean by how this thing sounds? And two, is there any way to change this sound to something I little more V8ish? True dual?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I had a Magnaflow catback system installed recently. It starts at the part where you can unbolt the stock exhaust right behind the 3rd cat, and goes 3" (I think, it may actually be 2.5") pipe to the rear where it splits off to 2.25" pipe to each muffler.

I asked the guy who put it in if it would be worth it to do a di/do 3rd cat and dual all the way back. He said it wouldn't really make a difference for the extra price of the cat.

The exhaust sounds good at idle. It's not that loud, but definitely has a deeper grumble. Once I get under way, it kind of sounds like a V6, like it's running at a higher RPM. Bottom line, it doesn't really sound like a V8 should. I know it is a small V8, but it still doesn't sound quite right to me.

One, does anyone know what I mean by how this thing sounds? And two, is there any way to change this sound to something I little more V8ish? True dual?

Thanks in advance!
run something through your third cat.. (i used a 3 foot cro-bar :D) itll knock out akll the stuff inside the cat and open it up into a sort of resonator..
just make sure to crank the car and give it a good free rev at WOT before you bolt the rest back up so it will blow everything you loosened up out and not send it through your nice new exhaust..

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I do plan on having this car pass smog again. No thanks.
ah. sorry lol didnt see where you lived :(.. a single high flow cat maybe? i seem to remember someone on here having a single hi-flow "Y" cat for $50-60...

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
it will still pass smog even in cali. the cat monitors are after the first cats theres nothing that watches the 3rd. it will not throw a CEL and if you gut it it will pass visual

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The only reason I said anything about the 3rd cat is because that is where the exhaust is di/so. I don't care that the 3rd cat is there. I'm fine with it being there and I'm not going to risk taking it off or gutting it and not have it pass smog.

The question I am asking is if it is the fact that the exhaust goes from dual, to single, to dual again through the stock cat is what is making it sound bad. Would it make a difference if I did a di/do cat and duals all the way back?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
having cats makes a higher pitched sound as ive noticed. going true dual with a h pipe would produce a deeper sound thou. you may cosider different muffler? also ive noticed that having plenty of tail pipe after the mufflers it produces a better sound.

just throwing out an idea...keep the cats, have the magnas hacked off weld up some tail pipes, then buy a bassanni si/so centered at the needed pipe size and weld iti n after the 3rd cat

·
Registered
483 Posts
to the OP yes a true duel setup will sound better...ie di/do from the middle and 2 pipes all the way back. that being said, is your setup not fairly new? down turn tips also make a slight difference. exhaust on these puny modular engines is tricky, trust me i know from my trials. i now run stock two front cats into a y-pipe use the stock squished single into two mufflers in there stock location. dynomax turbo's by the way.it sounds good enough and having a tune made a big difference IMHO. good luck with finding the sound you like.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put it on last week, so fairly new. I had the tips turned down so that it looks very similar to the stock exhaust.

Just to test it out, I unbolted the exhaust right behind the 3rd cat and started it up. Doing that made it sound the exact same, but louder. That means whatever is making it sound high pitched is coming from somewhere up front. This was a good comparison for my mufflers too. I think with the right changes up front, those mufflers will sound pretty good.

If I get a di/do cat, which one should I get? Mufflers are Magnaflow.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
see like i told you earlier ...cats create the high pitched sound the only way around that is to ditch the 3rd cat and add 2 high flows if you want

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I won't pass KALIFORNIA smog without the 3rd cat. And even if it would, I don't want to chance it somehow failing and me having to spend more money to fix it. Unless, by ditching, you meant replacing it with something else.

What parts would I be needing to get to accomplish this?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts