TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about opening the exhaust up on my thunderbird.. but I'm limited in ways to do (thank you North Carolina inspections :\ ) So, what I've been thinking of doing is 2.5" out of the manifolds (maybe later headers).. got to have the pre-cats.. got to have 3rd cat (replace to 3" in 3" out.. merge in front of cats) and run 3" back to the split in front of the differential.. then split again 2.5" into two mufflers ,thinking dynomax superturbo's or mayeb booker areo-chambers. My choice in mufflers is based on this data -> http://www.broaderperformance.com/page4.html but since I'm at work, can't remember at the moment.. will the typical muffler shape (flat oval) fit in stock location? I seem to be thinking stock mufflers are round... thoughts? It's not something I'm doing next week or so soon.. just planning ahead.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
ur basicly redoing the same setup as stock but with some after market stuff...from what i understand...if i were you i would forget the middle cat...just run downtubes from headers...into cats...get it together again and split it out on the back with the muffler of ur choise...im pretty sure u would pass inspection with 2 cats and mufflers...and yes...any muffler you throw at it on the back will fit...there is plenty of space on the rear...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea.. if I could, I'd run true dual front to back.. but gathering what I can from North Carolina inspecitons (dad just got relicensed).. same OEM equipment count has to be there.. meaning gotta have 3 cats and 2 mufflers.. Gonna call DMV tomorrow to see if there would actually be anyway around it.. if there is.. then I'll run true dual.. otherwise.. it'll have to be a stock-similar setup

Stock is 2" all the way back isn't it? not sure about between 3rd cat and rear split.. but I was thinking it was 2" stock for some reason..

·
Registered
178 Posts
The stock exhaust is 2" od into 2.25" od then back into 2" od. Just by a Cat-Back exhuast system and you might save alittle money. You'd get better flow and still have a rumble. Get a DynoMax cat-back system. They're a little louder.

Clay

·
Registered
166 Posts
where in nc are you located? i'm in raleigh. as i understand it, if you can find the right place out in the country they will pretty much do whatever you want, that is if you can find the right place. one way you can get around some of the inspection stuff is finding a place that has an older book. i went to many places in the raleigh area and none would touch anything before the third cat except one place. he used an older book, and eliminated the precats and made down tubes into a 2 - 1 high flow truck cat which then goes to a dynomax cat back. Bob's Muffler shop in Garner.

also the thing is on the stock manifolds, it is 1 5/8 i believe, so you will still have a contriction even with larger exhaust

hans

·
Registered
175 Posts
there's a really easy way around the emissions test....

put together whatever system that you want on the car, but keep your stock system...when inspection time comes around, slap the stock on it, get it inspected, then take it home and swap it back out.....yer good again for another year!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts