TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay fellas, I need some insight. I've recently had a local exhaust shop build me a custom exhaust w/ an x-pipe. After the install I started throwing an o2 sensor code, the shop warned me before I left that this might happen and instructed me to bring it back if it did and they would reset the computer for me. After it was reset it threw the code again and was idling VERY rough so I took it back, after reading the code I was told that the upstream sensor on the drivers side needed to be replaced, since my car has well over 100k I did not argue and changed all 4. Well the idle is back to normal, which is still a slight issue, but my real problem is the sound of my exhaust, I'm running dynomax mufflers because I don't want it loud, but it sounds weird, almost like an exhaust leak, I've had it checked twice since the install and the shop says there is no leak. What else could make it sound this way?
FYI, I've recently changed plugs, wires, MAF, and IAC. DPFE, and EGR will be replaced this weekend. I'm thinking that there is a slight miss in the engine, should I consider the coil packs? Any other suggestions?
My apologies for the lengthy post. Thanks! :confused:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
How many miles has your exhaust been on your car?
What Size Piping?

Did you have the cats removed?
Get a tune to fix that, or 02 simulators. Otherwise, you will keep receiving the same code.
Your 02 sensors aren't getting correct readings, so you need to have simulators, or get a chip/tune.

As for the sound, well give it time to break in and such. It takes a good 10k miles for it reach full potential, sound, etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. New exhaust has about 1200 miles on it. Cats were replaced with high flow. This simulator you mentioned, is that the MIL? Where would I get them? Do they install in place of the o2 sensors? Piping is 2 1/4". What do you mean by tune? I've already changed just about every sensor on the car, including plugs and wires.
I would love to get a chip, but since the exhaust cost me $700 it'll have to wait. Thanks again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
its funny because i never had a cel when i got my exhaust done. I had Kooks throw on JBA headers (this was before they started to make the headers for our cars) high flow cats, H pipe and magnaflow mufflers, never threw a code, onlytime it idled rough was when one of my o2's burnt out, but the car had 120k on it by that point, and never had it replaced, and the mufflers will open up, give them some time to burn through, i just got a Mazdaspeed exhaust on my 6, its a bit raspy, but it will get louder, and more defined as it burns through.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Jim Davis said:
What do you mean by tune?
I would love to get a chip, but since the exhaust cost me $700 it'll have to wait. Thanks again.

$700?! holy bejeesus. What cost $700?

Well, like a chip, you can program/reflash your computer using a Tuner (Xcalibrator2). This plugs into your eec, and does the same things a chip would, only it's much easier.

The MIL Eliminators (simulators I talked about)- just search online, or maybe a local performance auto parts store. I wouldn't pay more than $60, because you can buy a chipfor$300 and that does a lot more!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Hi flo cats and the x-pipe drove the cost way up! But the set up is pretty close to the ART system. It looks great, I'm just not completely happy with the sound just yet. At idle and moderate take off it sounds perfect, when you gun it it sounds like it's leaking?!? Also, if you rev it while in park it's popping when the RPM's are coming back down, almost like backfiring but not as loud. I guess I'm gonna give it a while to see if it gets better.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
the popping, is the cackling.
It is supposed to do that!!

Some people like the sound, let it grow on you, you'll learn to like it. I forget the mechanics of it, but those are the molecules or something exploding.

Just give it time.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
yeah man, thanks. It does sound nice. Too quiet for me tho! I will be removing the cats, hoping I will free up some sound! If that isn't loud enough for me, I will be shooting for a midmount Magnaflow, which is insanely loud. I love it!

Let me know how that exhaust works out for you.

Trust me, when I first got my exhaust done, and I heard the "cackling" on the revving down, I was like "WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY CAR?!" Then it grows on you, and you learn to love it!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yup, the crackling is very normal, mine used to do it badly until i put a couple turbo mufflers on it, took the crackling away and gave a mean deep tone. What kind of mufflers do you have on there? (sorry if i missed it)

Also, when I first had my exhaust put on it was as quiet as stock, seeing as I paid 450 for it I was very disappointed. I told my exhaust guy what I thought and he said drive it for 6K or so and come back, if you still don't like it I'll hook you up with some Raven muffs. So I did and now I don't even want the Raven's , over time the tone, loudness and everything changed. So just giver time, the sound will come :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess patience is a virtue. Now I have another problem, something keeps draining my battery!?! On to the next project!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Starter would do that.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
When you had your exhaust done, they might have disconnected your )2 and cat sensor wires... follow the wires and check and make sure everythign is connected, and proper. Make sure there arent any cracks in wires, etc... could be because they replaced ur exhaust, and had to put ur old 02's in a new bung. Couldn't hurt, and it's free =) I've learned that you should always do the easy and free stuff first, when your figuring out a problem. I had a 95 that threw codes, stuff about the bank 2 sensor running lean etc etc... replaced all 4.. didnt work. Cleaned the MAF, (FREE) worked like a charm. 320 dollars for 4 new 02's later, i was mad.. =)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts