TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pretty much decided to order everything from Rock Auto. I'm going with MOOG. UCAs, LCAs, Strut Assys, Sway Bar end links. I'm ready to push the order button. The parts are $200 cheaper at Rock vice Auto Zone, O'Reilly etc.

Can someone post the torque specs? I didn't see a sticky on that. There wasn't anything in the MKVII site on that and as not a member I can't open links in the forums.

I also ordered two new mirrors, bumper trim and a fuel pump/sender assy. One big buy all at once. Too bad they don't offer free shipping too but hey I'm not greedy.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,575 Posts
Do a quick search for the 5% discount, that should cover the shipping.

·
Super Moderator
12,666 Posts
UCA to spindle balljoint- 60 ft-lbs
strut rod to frame & to LCA - 100 ft-lbs
UCA to frame - 75 ft-lbs
3 small nuts to attach front shock assembly to frame 20 ft-lbs
front endlinks 30 ft-lbs
lca to frame - 150 ft-lbs
Front Wheel Spindle to Front Suspension Lower Arm Ball Joint 84-112 ft-lbs
Front Suspension Arm Bushing Joint to Front Wheel Spindle Nut 51-67 ft-lbs
Stabilizer Bar Link to Front Wheel Spindle 30-40 ft-lbs
Lower shock absorber/strut to LCA 125-170 ft-lbs

And Tire lug nuts 85-105 ft-lbs (I set mine at 100)

Get yourself a Haynes or Chilton how to book for all the numbers and nice drawings.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UCA to spindle balljoint- 60 ft-lbs
strut rod to frame & to LCA - 100 ft-lbs
UCA to frame - 75 ft-lbs
3 small nuts to attach front shock assembly to frame 20 ft-lbs
front endlinks 30 ft-lbs
lca to frame - 150 ft-lbs
Front Wheel Spindle to Front Suspension Lower Arm Ball Joint 84-112 ft-lbs
Front Suspension Arm Bushing Joint to Front Wheel Spindle Nut 51-67 ft-lbs
Stabilizer Bar Link to Front Wheel Spindle 30-40 ft-lbs
Lower shock absorber/strut to LCA 125-170 ft-lbs

And Tire lug nuts 85-105 ft-lbs (I set mine at 100)

Get yourself a Haynes or Chilton how to book for all the numbers and nice drawings.
Fantastic. Thanks. The parts are ordered. Maybe the 'ole Bird will be fun to drive again.

I also ordered up two new mirrors, rear bumper strip, fuel pump/float/strainer assy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never dealt with Rock Auto before but, in less than 18 hours everything was shipped. 11 separate items from 4 different shipping locations.

I think I'm liking Rock Auto.;)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Hey man, good luck on your build.

My mom is from Ridgecrest. :)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I received the spring/strut assemblies yesterday. The last ones I changed were on a Fox Cougar. These buggers are frikin heavy! I bought the Monroe Quick Struts all built up with all the bits. I might need a crane to lift 'em in.:rofl:

I also got new mirrors yesterday. Now all I need is the UCAs and LCAs and the sway bar links. Hopefully today so I can get started. It would be perfect timing for the four day weekend.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Be sure to check out every suspension component. The last thing you want to do it put all that together only to have to take it all back apart because you forgot something.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All done

Well I'm done. The shop quoted me six hours to do the job for $678. I did it in 7.5 hours.

UCA, LCA, swaybar links, shocks and springs. All I need now is the alignment. I was pleasantly surprised. The only slowdown was the right UCA. The rear nut took about 10 minutes to get off and 20 to put back on.

I wasn't however totally happy with the MOOG parts. The right UCA didn't come with bushings so I had to ship it back and get another.

The LCAs were just wierd. The left had a castle nut and cotter pin for the ball joint and the right LCA had a self locking nut. Too strange. All the rubber looked real good on everything.

The old stuff was quite worn and all the rubber bushings were heavily cracked and falling apart. The ball joint and sway bar link rubber was just gone but the ball joints were somewhat loose but with no slop. I guess I got it all just in time.

I used the already assembled Monroe sensa-trac shocks and springs. Now that was a simple task.

It's also nice having a SoCal car with no rust so everything came apart easily, only some light hammering on the lower ball joints to separate them from the spindle.

As for Rock Auto.....Great company to deal with. Here's the latest discount code: 43858373606137

1 - 13 of 13 Posts