TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go to install my FRPP Differential this weekend and WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT! Tccoa is down! How ironic is that. The one weekend/week I'm going to install it, it's down, then it's back up after the weekend's over. It was interesting though.

So I went and bought a Haynes manual, ended up not using it AT ALL. I just got under there, looked around and was like, ok, this all has to come off here and it was pretty simple to tell how to get each thing off. I did have a little bit of a problem locating the speedo, but I eventually found it and figured things out.

A couple questions/points here. When you drop the old diff. out, there's these two wires holding it up in there JUST to the point where it won't rest on the ground. What are these things? Do they just hold onto it in case it falls out or something? Also, the new one I got - those won't go into it because where the little rectangle thing goes into the side, it's all blocked off - is that a big deal? Are they necessary?

Next thing - installed the new speedo and checked my speedometer with a friend and I'm accurate, but still governed at 88 mph. So the computer reads off of the speed of the driveshaft I'm assuming? Either way, the car is revving high as hell at 90 mph anyway - won't ever be cruising along at 105 anymore. Oh well, who needs to be going that fast really anyway - will just need the chip for the track. Speaking of the track, anybody drop time changing to 3.73?

One final note here. What next steps should I take towards lowering my ET? Torque converter is for sure my next purchase, but what should my next mod(s) be? (MAF? TB? Heads? - opinions?)

I really don't know what to do for my next move. I'm looking to spend <1k for now, but if it'd be better to save that money and put it elsewhere, someone let me know.

I ran 16 seconds flat last time I went to the track, when I head back, I want that very high time down. What more would I need to dip into 13's?

~Matt

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
BirdManT94 said:
What more would I need to dip into 13's?

~Matt
Alot more mods and a drivetrain to handle the power. :D

Maurader TC, MMX shaft, cams, intake, maf, TUNE, pulleys...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can anybody give me some price ranges on these? Also, some info on them if you can....Sorry I'm asking such dumb questions.....

*EDIT* http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36474&item=2463192882 - PI intake? would it fit and be worth the $?

Intake - Info/$? I've got a cold air setup w/ paper filter....and I'm going to get rid of the violin case also....but what's plenum? $?

Marauder TC - $? Would it be worth it to save and invest in the Precision Industries one?

PI Cams - How much for parts/install - I'm PRETTY sure I couldn't do this one

Injectors/MAF - $ and what size injectors would be good for 80 mm maf?

Chip - Apten seems like they've got the best prices - ESP. the reburn @ $40 vs. Dennis' $200 reburn (I think that's what he charges)

Heads - what's NPI? Is Non-PI just...stock?? what brands are good with heads? If not PI, then what? $ for parts/install? How much is it for "PnP"? In other words, which is the best way to go with these when taking in the BIG picture and how much $ are we talking?

TB - Info, $ for parts/install?

Headers - how beneficial are these? JBA the way to go? Prices?

I think that pretty much sums it up. I've been looking for info on these, but it'd be awesome if somebody could just try and clear up some of the dry spots in my knowledge here.

And one more thing, is the order I get these really important? Thanks once again guys. I love being a newbie and asking dumb questions, because it makes me think to myself of the guy out there that just sighs and kicks some 18 year old in the head after thinking "Why are kids so stupid....?"

~Matt

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
BirdManT94 said:
A couple questions/points here. When you drop the old diff. out, there's these two wires holding it up in there JUST to the point where it won't rest on the ground. What are these things? Do they just hold onto it in case it falls out or something? Also, the new one I got - those won't go into it because where the little rectangle thing goes into the side, it's all blocked off - is that a big deal? Are they necessary?
Those are sensors of some kind. I'm trying to remember what they are for. I remember they were on my 1990 SC when I dropped the rear suspension out. OH! I think it's ABS....?
-Thomas

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
marauder TC...dennis reinhart...$100+s&h...very good deal...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Most of your questions can be answered by using the "search" button on the upper right hand side of this page.

If you're looking for heads, cams, etc.. try www.foxlakeracing.com. It's pricy but they do good work. Many members here swear by them.

Kooks headers and PnP'd NPI heads (w/PI cams, and intake) are the current rage.
I've got JBA's and PI heads and cams, but that was before the above mentioned rage.

P-Ind TC's are also pricy. Marauder TC's are popular now.

Did you J-mod your tranny yet? Mercon V fluid? Tranny cooler?

www.mn12performance.com has neat stuff for our cars also.

Dan at Joe Cooper Ford in OK can get you Ford parts at a very good price.

This should get you started.

·
8,978 Posts
racecougar said:
Yep, those are ABS sensors.

-Rod
So if putting in a rear diff that doesn't have the ABS holes in the case, could you tap it? Does the FRPP comes with the ABS holes?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine comes with the holes - even the hole to screw it into, but the one the sensor goes into is completely plugged with metal. You DEFINITELY notice it when you have no ABS - I've been skidding all over the place.

~Matt

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ported NPI Heads and PI cams are the way to go then....

I think I'll buy a set of these and a PI intake to go along with them.

Will all the gt/PI 4.6 mods fit the 1994 with little to no modification?

With these and 3.73 gears in, what kind of times could I expect?

Also, anyone have info on tapping those abs sensors?

~Matt

·
8,978 Posts
you should buy those heads those are a great price for what's included. And they will fit on your car. They're different than your current ones but they come with PI cams so you're covered there.
-Thomas

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
Both of my FRPP centersections came fully prepared for the ABS sensors.

BirdmanT94, could you possibly take a picture of the problem you're referring to? I'm having trouble understanding exactly why you can't install your ABS sensors.

-Rod

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll get some pictures of it this weekend when I install my lowering springs.

~Matt

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Another quick question...

this is the intake I'd want to accompany pnp heads and PI cams correct?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6755&item=2463157489&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT

With all this, 3.73 gears, maybe a C&L *EDIT* upper intake (not plenum), and a marauder TC, can anyone give a rough estimate of what sort of 1/4 I can expect? Also, does anyone know if there's a tech writeup on MD on a head swap? I'm definitely weary about doing it, but to have it done will probably run me upwards of 1k I imagine. How hard is it to do? I'd like to do my own head/TC/cam swap. I did that gears, but that was easy stuff.

Anyway, thanks for all your help so far guys. Sorry if this seems redundant, I've worn out the search button.

~Matt

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
BirdManT94 said:
With all this, 3.73 gears, maybe a C&L plenum, and a marauder TC, can anyone give a rough estimate of what sort of 1/4 I can expect? Also, does anyone know if there's a tech writeup on MD on a head swap? I'm definitely weary about doing it, but to have it done will probably run me upwards of 1k I imagine. How hard is it to do? I'd like to do my own head/TC/cam swap. I did that gears, but that was easy stuff.
I'd get a 70 or 75mm TB if you are getting the C&L upper intake (it's not a plenum).

You'll need the heads, gaskets, PI intake, few other misc parts, I believe there is a list in the Tech Articles, otherwise search around.

That intake looks so damn small in that pic on ebay. Weird. Must be a big tire next to it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow, I didn't even notice the size difference between the intake and the tire...that's got to be like a firetruck or something....weird....

~Matt

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pictures of the sensors (presumably) and pictures of the hole that is blocked up.

It's kinda hard to see the holes, because I had trouble getting a clear shot, but if you look closely you can see the larger hole has metal blocking the way.

~Matt

·
8,978 Posts
It looks like it should plug right in. I think the long thin part of that piece is that actual sensor, and the stubby piece is just to hold it straight in there. I'm not 100% sure though, but it's just a suggestion. Hope it helps.
-Thomas

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
but if you look at the pics of the 'female' part, the hole on top is blocked off (you can kinda see the shine of the metal inside the hole. it's really hard to see, but I can't get a better angle on it). The 'male' part won't fit onto the female part because of that hole being blocked off. The bottom hole is just for the screw on the male part to screw into, but it doesn't screw in, since it won't go all the way in.

~Matt

·
8,978 Posts
ah okay. Well sounds like you need to drill a hole then? That could be tricky if the metal flakes get into the case.
-Thomas

1 - 20 of 26 Posts