TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have dropped in a GT Shortblock:

What type of problems have you run into, such as wiring issues, electronics, clearance, emissions hookups, and componet swaps, (such as alternator and water pump, things like that; can the T-birds stuff be swapped, or should i go get Mustang stuff)

What other things should I consider, that is if I haven't done them?

I've done the normal bolt-ons, from tranny cooler to 3.73's.

My new engine, (all forged with worked over PI heads) is being shipped next Wed. so I'm sorting out last minute details while cleaning up and painting the engine bay...

Thanks!

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Is this a Windsor or Romeo block you have coming?

Your alternator and water pump will work fine.

You will have to do some wiring work because the top end of the new motor is set up differently than your old motor. A few connectors to splice, a few wires to lengthen.

Have you addressed your fuel system yet? Your stock fuel lines will not meet the new fuel rail where they should.

·
Registered
501 Posts
for the windsor block you will have to grind your motor mounts(get new ones),reuse your TPS its the same part #,96-98 tbird or gt fuel rails,96-97 tbird fuel lines. do a search there are many threads on this subject .i thought id get your mind started with a few parts .also look at tech articles 94-97 headswap youll need almost all of those parts.and find an old 96-97 tbird wiring harness it will help you out.gl

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a PI intake manifold with the injectors, and fuel rails already attached. I also have the "upper intake plenum" and a nice TB. I've heard there are issues with the fuel system. From what I gather, one is a "return style", and one is "returnless". I dont know much on it, I can bend new custom lines if that's all it takes.

My builder, (John @ Modularperformance.com) Keeps referring to "WEP". I'm assuming its a Windsor block, but I'm not sure. I did just send him an e-mail and asked. Also, since the TB is facing to the side, will the Mustang, or 96-97 T-bird stuff work better?

And one my big issue, I have yet to get a good answer on....Where in the heck can I find the right Torque Convertor for this set up? Nobody seems to be able to tell me what the correct stall speed should be, let alone have one for our tranny's! This car is will never be a daily driver, it is being made to perform, comfort isn't an issue. However, I want it "streetable".

Thanks!

·
Registered
501 Posts
as far as which is better," both"same parts ,and as far as the TC goes it all depends on how many bolts your crank is,6 or 8 cause a windsor motor came with both.you can get one at any performance shop,and the returning fuel rails is what you need,96-97 tbird or 96-98 gt mustang fuel rails will do,fuel rails and fuel lines are totally different so youll need both 96-97 tbird fuel lines their like a$90 new from ford,you can reuse your front accessories or buy new ones whatever year around there,i bought a 00 water pump reused my old alternator ,im not real familiar with aftermarket TC so you might want to talk with someone else,youll need bigger injectors if your going blown or P/A,im n/a and i have 19lbs now and im going to 24lbs and the list goes on

pm with any general swap questions if you can t find anyone to help you out

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts