TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - this is my FIRST post on this board since it's changed over to the 'normal' style board :).

Anyhow, even before the change I wasn't around much, mainly because of the difficult reading style (click on each dang reply to read it). Now that it's a 'normal' style board, I hope to hang out here more often! At least during the summers when my Cougar is on the road :p.

I have yet to put a new sig together, so I'll describe the car so as to get the best possible advice from you guys - it's a 1992 Cougar XR7 with the 5.0HO motor, no mods done as of yet to it, but an Edelbrock headswap may be next springs project.

That said, what's the best diameter exhaust for this baby? I have a 2.25" custom piece made up to replace the original part at the front containing the catalytics, but it only reaches for about 4 feet behind the manifolds. From there it's a 2" system, correct?

What I want to do, is make a 2.5" TRUE dual exhaust system, but I'm worried about the existing power level of the engine. With a stock engine, is 2.5" exhaust overkill? But it should be perfect for an Edelbrock headed motor (even though it isn't in there as of now), right? Regardless, I'm making a DUAL EXHAUST system from at least the existing custom pipe and back, but wether I build it right up to the engine is my question, and of what diameter.

Sorry if it's hard to understand - newbies can be soooo frustrating, eh :D?

Kevin.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
TOO big...

I would go with 2.25 duals. If you are willing to take a torque loss now, but plan on over going over 400hp, go with 2.5 duals. If you want 2.5 duals but no torque loss, make them join at a 3 single then split back out to 2.5 duals.

chart from dynomax.com

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm - the chart suggests for a 300-350ci engine (a 351 may find it's way under the hood in a few years as well), and I plan on making around 275 with the heads (is 50hp unreasonable from Edelbrock heads and some other monkeying around :confused:?), and with the old style of bending pipes, the bends will cause the needed restriction...

I'm not trying to say "I'm smarter", or anything, but I want to make sure that I won't have to keep modifying the exhaust. I want to buy my LAST set of mufflers for it, and have my LAST set of pipes built for it. I hate pissing around :).

Oh yeah - a single is unacceptable, I'm in this for the sound as well :p.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts