TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Tbird 4.6, Ive noticed some blue smoke after sitting at red light etc. when I first take off. Had a Crown Vic do the same thing it was the valve seals, is this common in the 4.6?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Probably the same thing on the T-bird. My valve seals were gone at 120K. I did a rebuild for any number of reasons. Doesn't smoke anymore!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'm at 250K miles and had the same problem from 150K.

I hate to recommend this, but it worked for me. Try about 3 oil changes (9K miles) with Valvoline MaxLife. My smoking was pretty bad and that seemed to help it a lot. I don't normally recommend specific oils, but in my case it was really a noticeable improvement.

And it’s a lot easier to try it first before you pull the valve covers and put new seals in. :D

All the early 4.6L’s have this problem. I think in 96, they upgraded to a different valve stem seal material/design.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am not sure about MaxLife! I started useing it about 120,000 at 134,001 the motor spun a main and locked down. But ya thats your problem.
FASTFORD!!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Fastford....

I doubt very seriously if the Valvoline Maxlife had anything to do with your spun bearing. It's highly unlikely...almost nil chance. It might have been an oil pressure problem or any number of other things.

Just my 2 cents....have no testing, facts, dyno sheets or anything else to back it up!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys, the problem is that I only have 40,000 on the car. The car did sit for a while but I would'nt think taht would be the problem.

94 Daily Driven 4.6L, is there a post or something that tells when they updated the seals

1 - 10 of 10 Posts