TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to register but have been watching the forum close to a year. I have a 95 T-Bird with 68,XXX with a 2.5" cowl hood. I am awaiting to do the DOHC swap from my 93 Mark VIII. It has a good motor and trans, but a rusted out body. I am going to do the interior swap also. I am also looking into refreshing the DOHC as it has an unknown mileage, under 100,000 for sure but still not for sure. The trans is brand new. I bought the Mark VIII with the intent to restore it but the entire underneath is rusted out bad. It would need an entire body and I haven't been able to locate one the has a bad motor or any other mechanical problems.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
sounds good to me.....show us some pics...if you know how and/or want to

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well, the DOHC swap sounds like a good plan. If you're wanting to "freshen up" the DOHC motor before the swap.......that would be a good idea, but it may not be the cheapest thing in the worl either---just to let ya know. If you tare it down, I would do a build up on it.....but that will add more to the cost. For example, if you do just a set of cams, you'll be looking at close to $1000---and that's just for the cams.

I just did a rebuild on my '97 SOHC 4.6L....and I would imagine the cost to do the block would be close to what I have in mine---around $4500-$5000. But then you get into head work, polishing and porting I believe are about the same cost, but if you do the valves, springs, retainers, etc.......that's double of what the SOHC cost. PLus, like I said above.......a set of aftermarket cams will cost ya about $1000 because you have 4 to replace.

I'm not trying to "scare" ya out of the swap or anything like that----the DOHC swap is a great mod to do, I'm just trying to give ya a heads up on cost if you do a rebuild on the DOHC motor---especially if you build it up. There's some things you could get by on with your motor that I couldn't with mine....so that may decrease your cost some....but you'll still have some $$$ wrapped up in it. Of course, if you just drop it in, then that wouldn't cost anything.....but if you want to "build" it up at all.......it would be better/easier to do it before dropping it in and build it later...ya know.

Good luck and WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slowride

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This car is just my daily driver, I was just thinking about the rings and maybe heads, but I don't know how many miles these motors can handle without a rebuild. I don't need to build it up as it will never see any drag racing, I just want a little extra power, I already have a built Mark VII with a supercharger and a manual AOD from ART CARR. I have the DOHC sitting in my shed, so I figured why not just drop it in my Tbird.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts