TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i know this board is dedicated to t-birds and cougars but i figured i could find some help/advice here. I have a 93 town car. i'd like some more power because the 4.6 just doesnt have what i'm looking for. I have also read that a few people have done the 5.4 swap but had clearance issues with the hood on your coupes but does anyone know how the triton would fit my my TC? and input on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I highly doubt the Triton intake will fit under your hood. There are other options, such as cutting up a couple of aluminum 4.6 car intakes or the van 5.4 intake, but the truck intake will not fit under your stock hood.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I think it is generaly accepted that it is easier to get more power out of a 4.6 than a 5.4. Not to knock the 5.4 you can get a lot more out of you existing 4.6 by pulling the lousy heads it has off and replacing with PI heads and intake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im gonna feel dumb for this but whats 'PI'? Also, had doubts about the whole intake thing anyways. if i decided to do it i think it'd be more trouble than its worth. what would you guys reccomend for decent power. I'm thinkin new heads and camshaft, possibly headers if i could find some that fit, and new rear gears. only problem is they cant be too much cause my budget is limited. (curse that thing we call money. grrr) what kinds of part would be decent and possibly what kinds of setups are any of you guy (and girls possibly) using that work well. thanks in advance. -matt

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
PI = Performance improved, 4.6 2v engines that are PI have different heads, cams, and intake manifolds. Started on Mustang GTs in 1999 and were phased in to all 2v Modular engines by 2001 I believe, including 4.6 and 5.4 engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dear Dr. FrankenCougie, wow. i looked at your car domain site and wow. thats some pretty serious work and amazing results. im very jealous. btw, i saw the GA state bike race stuff so im guessing you live in the GA. Where exaclty are you located. maybe i could swing by and take a look at the beast myself.

On a different note, what about aftermarket heads like these http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3216&prmenbr=361 how do those compare to the PI heads in price and specs? thanks again. matt

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
The "SVO" or "FRPP" High Performance Heads (M-6049-D46) are still the best flowing suckers out there but they come with a huge price tag ($889 is just for one head). I'd say if you are on a tight budget the SVO heads are not the way to go but if you want to squeeze every last bit of power then go for it. You need to decide on exactly how much power you'd like to bring to the table and be prepared to spend twice as much as you planned. A 99+ GT salvage motor from Stangparts in Winder, GA would be a good start.

This is the SVO intake... (it's not cheap either).

This is a Vortech T-Trim supercharger (Very not cheap!)

This is what happens when you do not upgrade the internals to forged stuff when adding more power to the 4.6 motor.

I'm in the ATL (285/400n), BTW.

-Scott

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i kinda figured those heads were quite expensive and i wasnt lookin to spend 1600 bucks just for heads. im lookin to get mid 200's at the wheels. also think that maybe i should just start with a chip and see where that gets me cause my shifts are buttery soft, almost downy-like, which i dont really care for. that would also free up some hp in the process.

i dont think that i'm gonna be making enough power to go with forged stuff but i might just incase. that block looks like its hurtin REAL bad. and i wish that SVO intake wasnt so much because its SOOO pretty.:tongue: so many ideas...so little money :(

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Get a set of PI cams and NPI heads (96+). Run them with a PI intake. Get bigger MAF and chip, then some 3.55 or 3.73s and some exhaust. Youll love it. I dropped a whole second off my 1/8th time by installing an '02 explorer engine and 3.73 traction lock (from 3.55s). I know how the money crunch is too man. I wont be doing anything to my car for some time.
-Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts