TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Within a week I might be buying a 92 Thunderbird 3.8 v6 with 128,000 miles on it for about 500 bucks. Interior and Exterior are in perfect condition. We took it to a local trusted mechanic and they came to the conclusion that the bearings on the bottom end crankshaft were going or already gone. He said that the car could last anywhere from a month to a year (yea nice ballpark figure there buddy...:rolleyes: ) I've come here to ask do you think the cars worth it? It will be my first car and i'll need it to get through highschool or so.

Thanks for your input,

Dan

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
If you aren't up to installing a new engine (or having that one rebuilt) then skip the car. Look to spend another $1000 at least, probably more if you won't be doing any of the work yourself.

The headgaskets probably failed, dumped coolant into the oil pan, and by the time anyone did anything about it, the bearings were trashed.

Anyway you look at it, without a new motor, it's sort of a time-bomb situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Josh_Keady said:
If you aren't up to installing a new engine (or having that one rebuilt) then skip the car. Look to spend another $1000 at least, probably more if you won't be doing any of the work yourself.

The headgaskets probably failed, dumped coolant into the oil pan, and by the time anyone did anything about it, the bearings were trashed.

Anyway you look at it, without a new motor, it's sort of a time-bomb situation.
The previous owner replaced the headgasket so I'm not sure how that would relate to the bearings being shot.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
The headgasket blows and dumps a lot of coolant into the cylinder bores, oil passages, and eventually, the oil pan. Coolant makes a lousy lubricant, and as it gets circulated through the engine oiling system, it basically allows for metal-on-metal contact with the bearings and all oiled rotating or reciprocating pieces. That equates to a bunch of trashed bearing surfaces, lifter bores, cam lobes, you name it.

No doubt that they replaced the headgaskets, but the damage was probably done by the time they had.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I would say it's a good deal, if you are prepared to spend the extra money to get it running reliably. You need to work something out with the engine ... maybe if you know someone who does engine swaps, that would help.

Also, bear in mind that at that age, a lot of wear parts may be due for a replacement, like tie rod ends, control arm/ball joints, etc.. (How do I know? I could show you plenty of receipts! :) )

My T-Bird just turned 15 years and about 145,000 miles, and it runs well, but it seems like there's always another minor thing to take care of. And a lot of rust, of course.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
LPSimpsons87 said:
My one friend said that i could prolong the life of the engine if i use a higher weight oil. Would that help?
It would still be iffy on the reliability. If you can't afford to have the car down for a while when the engine blows, then it's not worth getting. It's guaranteed for failure some time or another. Just depends on the mood the engine is in.
-Thomas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts