TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I couldn't find the original post where the wet sanding deal was explained. Wanted to tell the guy I tried it, and worked most excellent! Started with 400, then 1000, to 1500, 2000. Then used some leftover Mothers Restore from a kit a guy gave me. Awesomeness abounds! 2 decades of yellow and pitting gone. On the road at night... nice. Thanks. I like this place.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey. These are good tricks for the outside of the lens. Does anyone have any tricks for getting the condensation out from the inside... and keeping it out?? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,269 Posts
I found out, completely by accident, that Chemtool-B12 carb cleaner will completely remove the oxidation layer on these headlights, and by painting them as soon as it's dry, they look factory!!

Don't do this on the car, it will waste your paint; use it on trashed ones. :)

The headlights I recovered were complete 'white' trash before; I'll post pix. :D

I'm still using the sign paint clearcoat; it hasn't gone bad yet anywhere I've used it.

:grin2:

·
Registered
531 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Their clear coat looks like a repackaged lacquer paint.

Does anybody here have any examples of where they have clear-coated the lens after polishing and it's lasted for more than a year?
When my car was still on the road, I seemed to need to polish them about once a year, but they'd always go opaque again in short order. I'll replace them both one of these days, as soon as I can figure out how to get those insane clips off.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've restored my original 21 year old lenses twice now. The first time was with Duplicolor Clear General Purpose Acrylic Lacquer. It not being UV resistant, it lasted a bit over a year before it began to yellow. The clear failed at the two year mark. For my second attempt, I found Spraymax 2k clear that has a built in hardener and UV protection. I found plenty of testimonials attesting to the longevity of this clear. The clear is a bit more expensive, about $20 on amazon but well worth it. You begin with all the same sanding steps to get rid of the old clear. Once ready, just throw the rattle can in a bucket of warm water for 15-20mins before spraying, it will spray even and you'll wind up with a mirror finish without having to sand and buff the clear. I'll post again further down the line to update on how they hold up but shouldn't have problems for a few years. Very happy with the outcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
How are you guys sanding around those little "nubs" on the headlight? They are hard on the fingers if you hit one!

I ground them flush with a dremel on our CVPI. Makes a nice, flat surface to work with, though those headlights are much flatter than the MN12's. You can still see a faint imprint of them, but not too bad.

Al

·
Registered
10 Posts
How are you guys sanding around those little "nubs" on the headlight? They are hard on the fingers if you hit one!

I ground them flush with a dremel on our CVPI. Makes a nice, flat surface to work with, though those headlights are much flatter than the MN12's. You can still see a faint imprint of them, but not too bad.

Al

Those "nubs" were definitely a pain to work on. I just took my time sanding by hand and checked my progress by wiping the lens with rubbing alcohol as it drys quick and will show you any spots you missed. I simply repeat until I have a nice even lens with no shine. The one can was plenty and I was able to restore all my rear brake lights as well.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts