TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was travelling on I-95 North and all of a sudden it turns into 295 south and I start travelling back south?!
They don't tell you that you have to get off 95 and get onto the New Jersey turnpike!
Just a little rant from last weeks travels.
That and the tolls are outrageous on the turnpike and parkway.
High gas prices, high taxes, tolls all over the state, and your roads STILL suck!

Sorry for you guys that have to live there.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really do not understand what's going on with some of the Northern states. In NC they have low taxes, lower prices, beter gas prices, no toll roads, and at least the major interstates are in decent condition. I guess you guys have so many programs that the state government has to fund that it sucks up all the money from the roadway sytem?
Oh well, net time I go to Connecticutt I will park my car in Philly and swim around NJ!:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well compared to the southern states you dont have to worry about plowing 4 months out of the year. Road maintance is EXTREMELY high due to frost heaves and pot holes and such. That is the main reason for such a high cost. I feel your pain I lived in Mass for a while next to the Mass pike and it is a fortune to drive on some roads with there tolls. Plus all your gas tax ,excise tax, sales tax and every other tax. Thats why I moved to NH (Live Free or Die what a great theme for a state)

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder how much a state like NJ takes in a year off of toll roads? I know they got almost 12.00 off me just for driving though. I thought I was in another country having to pay an exit fee or something. Well, maybe they will have fixed the roads with that money or help to fund a couple more unnessisary government programs.:rolleyes:

·
Anything But Typical
1,337 Posts
The roads in the north suck so much because of all the salt and ash that get dumped on them in the winter, and then the snowplows rip them up. There are potholes big enough in the part of Ohio that I come from that could swallow my car whole! Why'd you think I wanted to come down south so bad? :D

~*~ Molly

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
Big-Al said:
So I was travelling on I-95 North and all of a sudden it turns into 295 south and I start travelling back south?!
They don't tell you that you have to get off 95 and get onto the New Jersey turnpike!
Just a little rant from last weeks travels.
That and the tolls are outrageous on the turnpike and parkway.
High gas prices, high taxes, tolls all over the state, and your roads STILL suck!

Sorry for you guys that have to live there.
?????High gas prices??????

I go over to New jersey just to get gas its soo much cheaper than Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Did you miss the experience of jug handles? Those are the best part of Jersey roads....

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: New Jersey roadway system

Bob Kinee said:

?????High gas prices??????

I go over to New jersey just to get gas its soo much cheaper than Pennsylvania.
Do you have to buy premium?

And what are jug handles? I know I especially enjoyed those "convenient" stops along the turnpike where there was only one gas station for hundreds of people needing gas. Then some guy in a turbin pops out and starts tapping on your window. I didn't know if I should tell him to fill it up with premium or that I had no valuables in the car?!?!?:uppoint:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Try dirveing a tractor trailer in the north east. I mainly go to north Jerzey and for me to come back into pa is 22.50 not including if i have to pay anyother tolls! NYC hits me hard too allmost 50 both ways! then you get to site on the bridge for 45 mins after paying so much money. But i like the people up there so I keep going back.
Greg

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will say this: The people that I met in NYC were very nice people. Well, better than I expected anyway. I was impressed that this was the case. I am told that the people who actually live in and around NYC are normally nice, but it's the visitors that give it a bad rap.
I did enjoy my trip to NYC, it was a ton of fun. Little Italy, China Town...had some awesome shrimp lo mein at a place call "Lynn's Dumpling" in China Town, just out-standing food. Hit a pizza place while I was in NYC as well and that was good too. Went to all the major attractions except Lady Liberty but I had been there before.
And subways...well I don't think NYC could exist without subways; there are just too many people otherwise!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I don't know if the jughandles are all over or are peculiar to the southern part but they are "left turn lanes", only you have to go right to get off the road you're on... Freaked me out the first time I went up there, they're the most fun when the light changes just as you get down to the end and you have to gun it to turn left with everyone coming at you full bore from the other side of the light. Very "exciting" for the tourist... and funny to the natives I'm sure. ;)

·
Registered
855 Posts
lol.....silly tourists. heh. j/k. Yeah jughandles are all over the state, and unless there is a SPECIFIC left turn lane, you can't make any left turns at lights. Sucks having to go 5 - 10 miles just to make a legal u turn. to make it to where you need to go. Also, i'm surprised no one mentioned all the lovely circles we have here :tongue:

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
A statement on New Jersey

Well, once and for all let me set the deal straight on the good ole' garden state known as New Jersey. people have such bad words always about the state. There a few things it has wrong with it, including high car insurance, these things on the road called "circles" and some dirty beaches. Well, aside for the high car insurance the price of living is pretty damn good there. And the beaches? Well they are dirty because people could give a damn about the quality of the beach when they come down to the shore from other states. I once asked a guy I worked with who was an avid N.J. hater why it was he hated N.J. He replied "Well, theres all that land inbetween here and the beach. Just pure ignorance on the part of many people.

Heres the thing, New jersey is a big ole' state. It may not look that way but try driving from the bottom tip up till the top. Its not a fun drive. New jersey is sectioned off into 3 peices, North jersey, central hersey(pine barrens), and my personal favorite, South Jersey. North Jersey is honestly ruins it for the rest of the states rep. I honestly beleive jersey should split and south jersey should become part of Pennsylvania. Think about it, where are all the sports teams in New jersey? Super upper north jersey. I always see Philadephia flyers/eagles/phillies/sixers flags up, never the nicks or the devils(which happens to be MY fav but thas no relevance here). Up in north jersey you see giants and jets and the like.

In all honesty, North jersey is just a little section of new York. I mean come on, isn't it a little rediculous that the Giants the the jets....(NEW YORK Giants and the NEW YORK jets) happen to play in their stadium.....which is in NORTH JERSEY! what the heck? South Jersey should just unite up with Pa. and North with New York and the Pine barrens can just stay as Jersey and have a nice little peice of pretty land.

It just boils me up to hear all the crap talk of New Jersey when in all actuality if you have ever been to some of the southern small towns such as Leesburg, Millville, Dennisville, or any of the like you would see a different side of New jersey, a beautiful state with alot to offer and a bad rap just because of some idiots who want to ruin all the fun for other people(I.e. college studnts and MTV).

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yeah, those circles would be fun for the uninitated too. I learned to drive when they still had them in VA... um, many moons ago. ;) The really fun ones are in Spain 6 cars wide on one side and 2 lanes on the other side. It's like the start of a marathon only with cars. When the light changes you mash the pedal and pray.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Wow a guy from PA standing up for us. :)

I appoligize that you didn't have a good time in NJ. There are more exciting places to go then the Turnpike. Maybe you shouldn't judge the state by tolls.

I am not fond of many sothern states due to various goverment, and social ways but I keep them to myself.

Jim

·
Registered
366 Posts
you went to CT? did you see the sign that said "welcome to CT, construction next 90 miles?"

ugh... I-84 by my house i horrible and they have been repaving it for 2 years now

but NY is by far worse on highway maintenance.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Big-Al said:
I really do not understand what's going on with some of the Northern states. In NC they have low taxes, lower prices, beter gas prices, no toll roads, and at least the major interstates are in decent condition. I guess you guys have so many programs that the state government has to fund that it sucks up all the money from the roadway sytem?
Oh well, net time I go to Connecticutt I will park my car in Philly and swim around NJ!:D
sh`t dude, you were in ct?!? shoulda looked me up man... coulda got some beers, some hooters.... yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i feel like keith, with the hooters and drunk ranting....man it was a good night out...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts