TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend asked me what kind of laptop she should get for school, and I told her I'd get some specs for her. I told her that she'd want one with the best (highest storage, most memory, etc.) since she'd have it for awhile, I'm figuring at least 4 years. I know what my computer for school has, but what she needs might be a little bit different (Mine's setup for AutoCAD, Solid Edge, MAPLE, Java, etc.) Any ideas on what to suggest to her?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
There are three big questions you need to ask her:

What will she use it for?
How often will she be carrying it around?
How much is she looking to spend?

These questions will tell you she needs and what she can afford.

On that note, down with solid edge, worst cad program ever invented.

-Miller

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well from what she told me:
1.)Mainly school work. Not really for gaming, etc. Probably music and movies as well.
2.)She's commuting back and forth to a community college, so I'm guessing she'll be toting it around quite a bit.
3.)I'll check with her, but I'm thinking under 2k (she balked when I told her to get an Alienware, lol)

And yeh, solid edge can be a b!tch, but it's what I've got (unfortunately)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
dell latitude 500s are really small and on the lower end of the latitude performance end. Dell is pretty pricey though. I just bougth an 810 for school and it ran me around 1900 with the 4 year accidental coverage plan (300 or so by itself.) It works great though and i was able to get the dvd burner and 1.86GHZ processor over the no dvd burner and the 1.6GHZ offered in the 500s. dells are pretty universally used and they did a good job handleing me. Im sure the techies can suggest a much better company with better prices but if your looking to go the easy way, "You're gettin a Dell dude"

PS forgot to mention the 800s are significantly bigger. Wide screen, and about 1 1/2 inch in width and obviously a little wider b/c of the screen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts