TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandmother gave me her 95 Couger for free.
She hardly drove it and it's in perfect shape. She's the best.

Its a 3.8 and I'd like to swap for a 4.6.

I need helpful suggestions.

Should I go with a 95 4.6 or something newer? On down the line I like to do some power modifications (nothing crazy). Is the swap going to be a headache?

Also will this require a trans change also. to my knowledge my car should have the 4R70W. I don't know a whole lot about this trans so I need the knowledge.

Also, the current trans is shifting rough and the odometer stopped working so now the car won't pass inspection (which is really why she gave it to me). Her mechanic told her that the trans problem is causing the odometer problem and it will have to be replaced. I haven't had a chance to look at it close yet but has anyone had this issue?

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
you should use the search button, yes its a headache but a couple here have done the 38 to 46 swap. sounds like your speedo gear or trans speedo gear needs replacing. dont mod anything until your trans situation is sorted out, Could be a simple fix or not.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The best and easiest way to swap a 3.8 for a 4.6 is to search the papers and find a comparable car with a 4.6 in it, then trade.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Welcome to the club!

How many miles are on it? The odometer gear is probably broken. Common issue. Swap for a new/repaired speedo unit.

The rough shift I would assume is from 1-2. Does it seem to hang in first gear and then all of the sudden bang into 2nd? If so, then the spring may be broken in the accumulator, thus causing the rough shift. Only fix is to drop the pan and replace the accumulator and sprngs. You don't even need to drop the valve body for this. Also would be a good time to change the filter, and refill the system with Mercon V fluid, instead of the Mercon III the book states. Might keep the dreaded TC shudder at bay for a while.

For a 4.6 swap, I would look for a new car. From the little I've read on the subject, it almost sounds like it's more hassle than it's worth and is just easier to start w/ a 4.6 car, then mod.

And FYI, if you do look for a 4.6 car, I would go 96/97. The intake is better on that year vs. the 95's.

Jay

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome. Ive never looked into a 3.8 to 4.6 swap but I can tell you that if you are gonna swap in a 4.6 there is no sense in swapping in a stock 95 4.6. May as well swap in an explorer or gt motor and make the hassle worth it. But then again Im not sure what those hassles may be.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Welcome! There are a ton of options you can do as far as an engine swap. Check out the search feature and look at DOHC swap, PI Swap and J-Mod (after you get your trans situation sorted out). I'm not as familiar with the V-6 swaps, but look at those swaps as well (some of the guys are doing really well with those). Good luck and once again Welcome!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info
The car has 72,000 miles and is in great shape
I was looking to originally do a swap for a 95 4.6 but from what you guys are telling me, I should go with a newer gt motor.

I'd be interested in a DOHC swap but it seems that it will be much more expensive.

Just trying to line up exacally what I'd need for the swap so that I can plan.

I know someone who has a 4.6 bare block that he offered from a 2000 mustang. I was thinking of taking that and starting a engine build up for the cougar. Just want to know as much as I can so that I can make it work.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well what exactly is your budget? If you have some cash lying around to throw at an engine build then why not start with a bare block? Then you could get a good set of heads and cams and and other top end parts. But if your on a lower budget then a complete gt or explorer engine would be your best bet. But then you gotta remember the top end parts from a 96 or 97 to make the pi work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I leaning towards an engine buildup. No real set budget, but it has to keep the wife smiling, if you know what I mean. So I'll rephrase it, a gradual engine buildup.

Assuming I get the trans issue fixed, I shouldn't have any issue using a 4.6 block from a 2000 mustang right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know much about how it would fit, but since '95 is still OBD1, you could "legally" swap a 5.0 in. Generally a much cheaper swap, as you can get a whole powertrain from a Mustang for less than a grand where I'm from.

·
Super Moderator
12,543 Posts
My grandmother gave me her 95 Couger for free.
She hardly drove it and it's in perfect shape. She's the best.

Its a 3.8 and I'd like to swap for a 4.6.

I need helpful suggestions.

Should I go with a 95 4.6 or something newer? On down the line I like to do some power modifications (nothing crazy). Is the swap going to be a headache?

Also will this require a trans change also. to my knowledge my car should have the 4R70W. I don't know a whole lot about this trans so I need the knowledge.

Also, the current trans is shifting rough and the odometer stopped working so now the car won't pass inspection (which is really why she gave it to me). Her mechanic told her that the trans problem is causing the odometer problem and it will have to be replaced. I haven't had a chance to look at it close yet but has anyone had this issue?
The best and easiest way to swap a 3.8 for a 4.6 is to search the papers and find a comparable car with a 4.6 in it, then trade.
:zwthstpd:

Trade it in on a V8 '96 or '97 Bird or Cougar. That's the best way to get a 4.6 out of that 3.8 or into it. Depending on how you look at it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
[apply flamesuit]
forget the 4.6swap... find a 5.3 vortec or an LS1 and a T56 drop that baby in.. then you will actually make some power....[/flamesuit]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts