TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
It only happens when the car is changing gears under load (wot) 2000-3500 rpm (from 1-2 2-3 etc) and while decelarating. what is the deal?
I've read that it may be a baffle in the intake or some ish?

I'm a new member on this forum.

It's a 1994 Ford Thunderbird 3.8

• 96 front end conversion
  • 18"rims
  • xenon body kit (94 style kit)
It runs great at idle and all around, exept for that pesky noise. Oil pressure sending unit was bad at one point, replaced it and no issues. I even drove the car Denver, to Chihuahua, MX and back - no issues.

Greaet forum guys!

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,517 Posts
What's the maintenance history on the car? Plugs, wires, fuel filter, vacuum lines, MAF sensor etc.?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
Vacum lines are clean, no leaks anywhere, car is well maintained new wires/plugs and oil 2k ago, MAF sensor was cleaned with a electrical cleaner; fuel filter hasn't been replaced.

i even ran a can of Seafoam trough the vacuum hose on the intake. car smoked like hell that was before i changed the plugs.

This noise has been there since i purchased the car. it runs great exept for that annoying noise.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Crawl underneath it and slap the cat converters around a bit. They are known to rattle.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Sort of hard to say without actually being able to hear the noise or where its coming from, but you said it sounds like its more towards the front of the car than the rear ..

Usually an exhaust rattle like mentioned above.

I had a customer who had me check out his "rattle" and the muffler baffles were completely blown apart with the pieces rattling inside.

If yours is more towards the front it could be the cats .. very unlikely for it to be an internal engine rattle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i doubt its something major... my brothers 96 cougar did the same noise... we never figured it out either... that car got traded in with like 200k miles or something.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I don't claim to be an expert on any of these cars, but I do have a bit of mechanical knowledge and that vid sounds like a rod to me. Might even be a wrist pin but sounded more like a rod.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5u3d0Vnpx4

this is the EXACT noise my car makes.
You might be concerned about driving that car too far if the engine is making that EXACT noise..

That does in fact sound like "rod knock"..

You'll know it's "rod knock" after the rod blows a hole in the side of your engine block, and makes a chocolate milk mess!

I've seen it happen on these 3.8's

Rayo..

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Hope it's not a rod rap! :beek:

Joe
Rod Rap?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FLGxWPtgodo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
videos are uploading right now. in the first vid, the car didn't make the noise.

in the second video, it started doing it. It doesent matter in my case if the car is Cold or hot. it sometimes happens when the car is started in the morning (cold start) or is driving after it heats up. the noise comes and goes?

i drove it to denver from vegas and back.. no issues exept for that noise

same thing to chihuahua mexico and back... no issues. exept for the noise

·
Super Moderator
12,531 Posts
The Cats have probably worn out other than that, since you've got straight pipes in the back that only leaves the resonator. Another cause of vibration is failed motor mounts.

BTW, welcome to TCCoA.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts