TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new to me mirror last night for $20 from a black 93 t-bird it was a real ***** to change the mount that goes to the car as the one for the tbird was a lot bigger. here are some pics

here is a before pic

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol yeah I had a small blind spot mirror on there before that would give me some idea if it was clear or not but I would still look anyway. So far I have put about $100 into this car to get it where it is right now as far as parts go, I have done all my own labor. I think its really coming along nice for the amount of money spent on it.

Does anyone know if I can make the mirror glossy? I used duplicolor spray can and the color is pretty much dead on but I would like to get some shine out of it if possible. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
should I buy spray can clear coat? and will it look anywhere near as good as stock? Also should I wet sand it or no?

·
Registered
148 Posts
ya u can use can clear coat. i mean for best results with any paint job, would be to use a spray gun but since you only had to do the 1 mirror, and the color does look dead on, just clear it. just be careful not to put it on tooo thick too fast cuz then you will have runs. and once you get enough clear on it, you can lightly wetsand.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
It would of been much easier to clear coat it without any runs, or hard to get to spots, if you had done it before mounting the mirror... not to mention the prep hassle of masking the rest of the car off.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well now that I have rigged it to fit right I can take it off with ease thats not a big deal just 3 nuts and its off.

·
Registered
708 Posts
heres my opinion and I paint for a living. spray clear sucks cause its laquer based and contains no catalyzing hardeners. but that all you can use right now.

take off the mirror, mask the glass. afix it to something you can hold in youre hand. maybe even hang it from the wires. put on a fresh coat of the green. this gives the clear something to chemically bond with. dont put it on too heavy, just a lil bit. after its dried dull 15min-1 hour, shoot the clear.

for the clear you apply one coat wet, but not "high gloss, full wet" but also not really chunky dry. wait 10 min, no more. then hit it with one full wet coat. theyll be no colorsanding for you so get it as wet as you can without running it. Itll look great. the key here is the full wet coat. if it starts to run you can manuver the mirror with your hand to get the runny paint to "slide" back into place until it sets up. but if it runs, its not the end of the world, just dont have any dry spots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts