TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is synthetic oil bad for a initial break in of a motor. (first start/first drive). will it glaze the rings????

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I have been tought that your supposed to use a regular non-synthetic oil during the break in period for a motor, than after the break in period feel free to switch to a synthetic if you are so inclined. I can't remember why off the top of my head.... but I'm sure it was for a good reason.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Any decent oil will do. Change it rapidly (and filter too). i.e. First hour of running, first 50 miles, first 200, 500, 1000....This will insure all the junk that may have gotten in the motor during the build is out of there. Especially gasket sealer!

·
Registered
466 Posts
The way ive always done it...get some motorcraft oil and filter, run it for an hour or two then change it, then change it at one tank of gas, then at 2 tanks, then i do the normal 2500-3k mile oil change with synthetic(royal purple) from there on out.

·
8,239 Posts
post this question on bobistheoilguy.com, i'd like to see what the oil pros say, not just us guessing for the most part.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Birdman232 said:
The way ive always done it...get some motorcraft oil and filter, run it for an hour or two then change it, then change it at one tank of gas, then at 2 tanks, then i do the normal 2500-3k mile oil change with synthetic(royal purple) from there on out.

that sounds like a fairly easy maint program..

·
Registered
466 Posts
4.3Lcougar said:
that sounds like a fairly easy maint program..
Well for the oil/break in I do, everything else I do at 1/2 the miles as the manufactorers suggest. Its overkill but I'd rather spend more money now and still drive the same cars 300k miles later...plus the way i drive it, I like the added insurance of new parts on, one less thing to break down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts