TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a vacuum canister from Summit Racing to try and fix the brake problem I was having with my cam. Agressive cams pull less vacuum at low rpm, which means there's not as much vacuum for the brakes, which means in an emergency when you mash the brake pedal it doesnt WORK! I almost got in a collisioon before I was inspired to fix it. So I recieved it a few days ago and I was pondering where to put it that would be easily accessible yet out of the way. Matthew Neuharth on v6power posted pics of his 478rwhp turbo setup where he had removed the passenger side accessory bracket. I had been thinking about this but was afraid the belt wouldnt grab the water pump pulley enough. I tried it anyway and it still cools just fine. So I bolted the vauum canister to the passenger head :D

-Thomas

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Looks good... but its really in the way of the Vortech that should mount right there (IMHO)... :D

Why didn't you mount it inside the wheel well like most of the OEM vacuum canisters are mounted? Any particular reason? :2huh:

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
like I said I wanted it easily accessible. Plus the canister has a threaded hole for a gauge that Summit sells, I'm going to put a gauge on it just so I know what vacuum I'm pulling, I'm kinda curious. And I could see it unless it was in the engine bay. It'd be hard to read a gauge when its in a fender well.

Vortech? nah, those are for sissies :D

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Thomas said:
like I said I wanted it easily accessible. Plus the canister has a threaded hole for a gauge that Summit sells, I'm going to put a gauge on it just so I know what vacuum I'm pulling, I'm kinda curious. And I could see it unless it was in the engine bay. It'd be hard to read a gauge when its in a fender well.

Vortech? nah, those are for sissies :D

-Thomas
How fast is your car?, thats what I thought :cool:

Vortech will carry me into the 11's, 11.50 is as fast as you can go with no cage anyhow. Its dang near impossible to keep the A/C with a turbo setup, but its doable with a vortech.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I like the look without the pass side bracket. :) Not sure if I like the idea of no tensioner though.

What size belt?

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh you know I'm just making fun Brandon. :D I wouldnt mind having a vortech, I'd just rather go with the TT. Heck I've already got the heads and cam for it. BTW, did you see Matt's 587rwhp dyno pull on his single-port 4.2 single turbo? :eek: :eek: :eek: Amazing!

Mike, I do have a tensioner. I removed the idler pulley and drilled a hole in the bracket to accept the tensioner that used to be on the bottom of the passenger bracket.

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Sweet. :) I didnt look very hard.

I wonder if I can use the 3.8's AC delete pulley on the AED and save a few bucks. What size belt did you use? I might try it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Bout time i saw some of these engine pics thomas.

Its funny you had this problem. Ive noticed the same on the mustang. (same 3.8 i took out of my old tbird if anyone was wondering) Any problems with the install or since you have had it installed??

Rob

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nope everything's peachy. I thuroughly enjoy having my brakes back :) On the stang you can convert to Hydra-Boost, read up on it.
-Thomas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts