TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i visited Auto Zone and they scanned my engine ( my check engine light was on) . They said im running way to lean in the last 4 cylinders, probobly a bad o2 sensor. Is this the case? If so what is a good o2 sensor (preferably cheap), and how long would it take me to replace?

·
Registered
166 Posts
their not cheap at all depending on how many you need, i think one is like 75 bucks. But its easy to replace you just have to get an 02 socket to fit over the sensor and wires

·
Registered
146 Posts
I forget what size it is. However i replaced mine with a wrench. It took a few hours and thats only because i had to use a universal O2 they ran out of the custom O2's so that ment i had to cut and splice using the old connector on a new O2 sensor. It's probably one of the easiest things i've ever had to replace. One of those preventative maintenance things such as brakes, shocks or filters. Ohh and that big one. A tune up., Have you tunned up your car lately. Your plugs could be burned out. wires could be fried. Plugs and wires would run about $80 together. air filter 10-50 depending on if you wan k&n or regular replacement. Don't forget the pcv valve. That is the easiest thing to replace. It's only gonna cost a couple buck$. Sorry to say if you do this you may still need O2 sensors. I got mine for $60 each at autozone. Like I said Its all easy basic stuff.
The scanner should tell you if its up stream or down stream O2 sensor. Upstream are before the cats and downstream are after. If its only saying you running lean and doesn't say that its a upstream/downstream or emissions problem. I'd suggest running some injector cleaner or that tune up in a bottle. that stuff works great. Look for lucas upper cylender lube. I think thats what it is.
So I'd suggest checking the basics befor i'd worry about O2 sensors, however they most likely will need to be replaced eventually.

Good luck,
Frank

·
Registered
146 Posts
Chris O'Hearn said:
What kind of performance gains could i see if i replace it? Is it somethin that would need to be done immediately?
Well if you're looking for performance. You'd deffinently want to get what ever is wrong fixed. If you already have mods and there's a code poping up then your timming is going to be off. That means lower performance and less gass mileage.
BTW have you done any mods reciently. I darn well know, if you mod the intake and put the MAF on backward you'll be running lean. hehe. thats another stupid idiot story though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a new stock MAF and the custom "ram air" intake tube through the fog light hole. Old MAF went bad so i replaced it with another stock one.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Post the actual code number and you'll get a lot more help.

If it turns out to be an 02 sensor, I would buy an OEM from Dan Newman at Joe cooper ford (# on front page). It won't be the cheapest, but it will be close and a genuine Ford part. I personally wouldn't skimp on 02 sensors.

Hope this helps,
Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts