TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some new OEM headlights and was wondering if there is someway to keep them from yellowing. I don't want to have to buy new headlights every 5 years!

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I installed the black GTS headlight covers on mine, as soon as I got the car.

To date, the headlights are still clear, but are pitted and scratched from nighttime use.

Here is a drivers' side headlight pic., taken tonight.

·
Premium Member
8,239 Posts
ok,

UV Rays (the sun) kills your headllights and makes them yellow. Nothing else. To keep them nice and clear, put a good car wax on all your lights all the way around, everytime you wash the car. That will protect it from the yellow headlight look.

Justin

·
Registered
246 Posts
hmmm

interesting ...I thought it was a unique problem with my lights going yellow as I have looked closely at many bird lights and they are all clear... guess they have been lucky.

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket lights that are clearer???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to this forum, but have noticed in browzing around that this is a rather common problem. I bought a 94 T-Bird used in 1997 for my wife. I noticed at the time the headlights were yellow. I thought that was the way they came originally. I've also noticed in night driving the car has rather poor illumination (at least as compared with my new PT Cruiser and my old Honda Accord). I was hoping there were some after market headlights that were clear. So far, I've seen nothing about that possibility. There is imformation on here about polishing the yellow off the lens but I can see I'd probably screw that up and the headlights would be worse than they are now. Too bad Ford did not use UV resistant plastic. It must have been a cost cutting thing!

Puck
94 T-Bird LX V-8

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I have never seen anyone post a message about having ruined their headlight lenses by cleaning them. There are at least 4 or 5 different products you can use, and a few diff. methods that have been posted here before on how to clean them.

If you want brighter lights, you can buy brighter (higher wattage) bulbs, but you may have to upgrade the wiring. Too much wattage, and you could burn out the headlight switch and/or start a fire in the wiring.

You can also install the 97 headlights (clear lenses), but then you have to install a 97 hood (or live with the gap), and other misc. parts.

If you decide to do some of this yourself, search thru the forums, and you should find all the specifics you need.............

Hope this helps....................

·
Premium Member
8,239 Posts
I have the 95, and bought new headlight assembiles for $50 dollars each (ford brand), and bought some clear corners from procarparts.com for 45 dollars. The place to get headlights is headlightstotaillights.com they are real cool, and real professional, plus they have the cheapest prices i've seen. I think their prices went up a little bit since i bought mine, but they are still rock bottom.

JH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts