TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed i have oil on the floor of the garage lately.

I just did an oil change the other day and well its not from where the seal of the oil filter.

It looks as though its coming from the part the oil filter connects to, the piece that has the oil pressure sensor in it. Im thinking mabe the gasket at the block?

Im going to clean it off then look at it to see where it starts.

Any thoughts other wise,

·
Registered
974 Posts
The usual culprit is the oil filter adapter gasket. It can be kind of a pain in the ***, I did mine a while back while my sub frame was out and it was very easy with nothing in the way. But if you take your wheels off and have a universal and some extensions you should be able to get it from a few different angles. I forget how many bolts there are but they aren't in very tight, I'd have to lookup the torque spec. It's pretty common with 4.6's, quite a few that have switched to synthetic sometimes get drips from this location. Although I switched to synthetic at 125k and no problems at all and it's 10k later.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i m just going to keep an eye on it once it warms up and have a chance to clean it. If it persists i will decide a coarse of action.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oil adapter leak? Drain the antifreeze?

Can anyone tell me if you have to drain the antifreeze to get the oil adapter out. Whats the best sequence to change the adapter gasket?:confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanx IRONCHOPZ

Picture/Description was worth a million. I thought antifreeze went thru but wasn,t sure Saved me from a bath. A real pain to remove those 4 bolts though!!! Managed to break 3 10mm sockets gettin it out. Luckily was able to loosen the last one with a wrench. thanks

Update Ive driven the car for about 250 miles and the oil leak is gone , In addition the mystery radiator leak i had is also fixed since i put the new gasket in!!! thanks

·
Registered
680 Posts
IronChopz said:
An article to assist you:

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00041.html

A coolant passage goes through the adapter and gasket. Draining the coolant is required.
Has anyone tried this? I went to do this on my 94' Cougar and when I removed the 4 bolts, the adapter (or whatever it's called) would not budge. The bolt holes in the gasket did not align properly with the bolts I removed also, so maybe I messed up? There was a wire that was not going to move that was wedged between the PS pump and that subassembly adapter.

- Stephen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts