TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up 95 thunderbird SC with 68k miles. 5spd black with gray, and a sunroof. Very clean inside and out. Motor runs good but cant say great.

It had acouple small problems which i already fixed. Shifter bushing, engine fan, new wires plugs fuel filter, and the car run alittle better. Still need to change the motor mount though.

Over all i think i got a good deal. I paid 2500 for it. Love the car alot. I have four cars now and this one is the best. I do plan on doing some mods to the car.

Questions from a new SC owner.

1. Car seems to bog around 3.5-4k rpms. After the samll tune up got more power but still seems like all the power is not there. as if the power is loss at 4.5k and after. I have been ready alot about Head gaskets. Alittle worried!

2. Any common problems or anything i should look out for our check?

3. Car seems rough. I think its the motor mount. Shaking at idle but the idle is steady. When you go forward it feels rough. Hard to explain.

Thanx for for any help. I have been doing alot reading and going to read some more after this.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just picked up 95 thunderbird SC with 68k miles. 5spd black with gray, and a sunroof. Very clean inside and out. Motor runs good but cant say great.
Sounds like you found a nice car.

1. Car seems to bog around 3.5-4k rpms. After the samll tune up got more power but still seems like all the power is not there. as if the power is loss at 4.5k and after. I have been ready alot about Head gaskets. Alittle worried!
Check and/or replace plugs and wires. Are you running premium gas?

2. Any common problems or anything i should look out for our check?
If you had a 89-92, I suggest the ABS system, but the 93-95 ABS is far less problematic.

3. Car seems rough. I think its the motor mount. Shaking at idle but the idle is steady. When you go forward it feels rough. Hard to explain.
Not sure about this one, but it could be one or both motor mounts. You definitely need to verify that because broken motor mounts can cause the oil pan to rub on the crossmember enough to rub a hole in the pan. An easy way I've check for broken motor mounts is to open the hood and with your foot on the brake put the car in reverse and give it a little gas, the engine should lift up on the driver's side (yes, I realize this is harder to do with a manual transmission).

You will find some good information on this site about Thunderbirds in general, but for SC specific information, you'll typically have better luck over at http://www.sccoa.com.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did change plugs and wires as will as the fuel filter. I'm putting 89 gas. I even think i put 87 when i first bought the car. I'll do 91 on my next fill.

The motor mount is for sure gone. The motor hopes when driving. I did that test when I first bought the car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I did change plugs and wires as will as the fuel filter. I'm putting 89 gas. I even think i put 87 when i first bought the car. I'll do 91 on my next fill.

The motor mount is for sure gone. The motor hopes when driving. I did that test when I first bought the car.
If you plan on regularly running low octane fuel, you can remove the SPOUT plug, which retards the timing 4°. But most prefer to just spend more money on fuel :)

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Good find.

It's what my wifey drives.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Enjoy!

I while be putting 91 for now on.

Another problem which i'm not sure. The oil pressure seems to be stuck almost 3/4 up. Turn car off it wont go down. Put key back in and than drops but when you start the car right back to 3/4. While driving it nevers moves.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
holy hell thats nice! i think the oil pressure gauges in these things are just there to show you have oil pressure right? i thought you had to do something to actually read the true oil pressure.

·
Registered
798 Posts
holy hell thats nice! i think the oil pressure gauges in these things are just there to show you have oil pressure right? i thought you had to do something to actually read the true oil pressure.
To get the real oil pressure, follow this how-to...here

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll check the belts out. They did look alittle worn when i looked at them the other day.

oil pressure sounds easy. Put that as one of this weekands projects! Thanx for the link.

I've been reading that this car is rare. I'm getting scared to even drive it now. I quess i better get full covarge for this bad boy.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I've been reading that this car is rare. I'm getting scared to even drive it now. I quess i better get full covarge for this bad boy.
Yes it is and you have a very nice example. Better than mine at $2700.

And oh. 4500 is about as far as you should push that stock anyway. It's built for low end grunt not high rpms.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
i bet you could sell that car for way more than $2500. esp. since it's only 68k miles.

i'll trade ya!! :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice find. When you change the broken motor mount take my advice....change both. The first time I did motor mounts on my 95 five speed (around 37,000 miles at the time) the passenger side mount came out in two piece's. Before I took them out I couldn't tell they were bad by inspecting them and I inspected the hell out of them. I even took the car to a local Ford stealership to have them check the mounts out and they told me they were good to go. I was trying to nail down an idle problem as well as a few other problems so I ended up changing the mounts anyway and what a difference a new set of mounts made. I swear it was like driving a completely different car. Idled much smoother, shifted much smoother, and just plain all around ran much better.
I'd also recommend you do a complete coolant change at least once every two years. I do it once a year in both of my SC's. I believe it goes a long way in head gasket preventative maintenance. I've owned my 94 SC for thirteen years and my 95 SC for ten years and I haven't experienced a blown head gasket yet knock on wood.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice ride, whoever sold that to you for $2500 obviously was not a true SC person, they didn't know what they had..

RJ

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sound good. I'll do all three (tranny). I bought the mounts but damn looks like pain to do. So i'll take it to the shop. Hate to say it too but i even work on cars for aliving. Not the came with out a car lift. Which i dont have access to right now.

I have a little rice rocket i just bought as while that i was fixing up. 93 integra. Now im thinking i'm going to sale it and have some play money for the new SC.

Any ideals what would be the first steps in good power ect.
Was thinking headers and intake and pully or how about some springs?. Already did a good tune up. My still have cash left over.

Have a guy coming tomerrow and seems he really wants to buy it for 3gs. (integra) I can spend the whole 3 just incause someone give me a big oh list :tongue:

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Drool over what you WANT to buy for a bit. Don't spend it all too quick. Your list will change quite frequently and you don't want to buy off your first list before revisions. Ha, that almost makes sense.

Look at exhaust. Then possibly a pulley and see if you want more. Making these go fast is art. And some would say headers are a waste. I don't have them but wish I did. IMO.

And not to shove you off, but have you visited sccoa.com? It's more SC's.

PS. I have some worked heads for sale if you do get in a hurry.;) ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sound good. I'll do all three (tranny). I bought the mounts but damn looks like pain to do. So i'll take it to the shop. Hate to say it too but i even work on cars for aliving. Not the came with out a car lift. Which i dont have access to right now.

I have a little rice rocket i just bought as while that i was fixing up. 93 integra. Now im thinking i'm going to sale it and have some play money for the new SC.

Any ideals what would be the first steps in good power ect.
Was thinking headers and intake and pully or how about some springs?. Already did a good tune up. My still have cash left over.

Have a guy coming tomerrow and seems he really wants to buy it for 3gs. (integra) I can spend the whole 3 just incause someone give me a big oh list :tongue:

RBrown has the right idea, check out sccoa.com before you finalize your list, I've been a member over there also for years, since the first 6 months of it's life actually.. The folks over there have done it all with the SCs and they have some pretty cool stuff going all the time..

RJ

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya i'm bouncing back and forth from both sites. I'm getting more replays here and alittle more info. Havent paid the fee over at sccoa mybe thats why.

oh i meant exhaust not headers! sorry. Ya headers is last on my list. I like the aftermarket hoods too adds a nice touch to the car. Will you know what i'll be doing all night... Window shopping :rolleyes: ( Oh honey can i use the creidt card: After you buy me my wedding ring: S***)

Ya i been reading and these cars aint like no honda. Alot more to consider in this cars. Which make it more fun.

I'll wait on the head until i blow some HG's.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts