TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One night on the way home, I hit a bump in the road, literally. My engine light came on and the engine was revving high but not going anywhere fast. I was able to drive home but only at 50mph at the most. It felt as though I was driving in low the whole time. The next morning, she wouldn't start at all. A friend of mine who is a ford mechanic, came over hook up his laptop and got the message "failed PCM". I got a new PCM and it is very hard a reach and remove. I'm just hoping that this is really the root cause. Geez, I need help here

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
A Ford tech came over, told you what's wrong... what do you want us to do? Ask your friend LOL!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Seriously a PCM swap is about a 30 minute job at most for even the most inexperienced backyard mechanic. It's harder to put one in than it is to take one out. Remove the kick panel, drop the glove box, remove the 7mm strap bolt, remove the 10mm pcm wiring harness bolt, move the wiring in the kick panel a side, yank it down, install the new one. Installation is harder (in my opinion) because you have to juggle holding the pcm and installing the 7mm strap bolt. Quit whining about it and do it. If that doesn't fix it then your ford mechanic friend doesn't know what he's talking about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks, I guess I was venting more so as I was really worried if replacing the PCM was going to fix my starting problem or not. Luckily, after days of not starting she started right up with swapping out the PCM with it laying on the floor before putting it back in. As Chris Murder stated it is a real pain getting it back in but I'll get in there. Thanks Everbody!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts