·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,528 Posts
You're allowed to post things like this, but technically they're supposed to be in the "Miscellaneous" section.

I also must point out that this is the Dorman intake, which will actually usurp power if installed.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're allowed to post things like this, but technically they're supposed to be in the "Miscellaneous" section.

I also must point out that this is the Dorman intake, which will actually usurp power if installed.
what does "usurp" mean? Sorry I posted in wrong section...

·
Super Moderator
9,528 Posts
Steal, more or less. A few dyno runs have shown the Dorman intake is actually a downgrade compared to the stock PI intake. I do not think it's any worse than the nPI intakes, but it's not any better either. It'll suit as a "keep me on the road" part but not as a performance mod.

Sorry I posted in wrong section...
It's not a big deal, people do it all the time. :)

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I went to Dorman's website wondering if there was more than one intake made by them. There is....

Part Number 615-178 is the manifold they make that is meant for vehicles up to 2000 year (NPI I am assuming).
https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bin/vm91corp30r/item-dtl.w?sid=pJalUHKitlokdkad013113501489897422&item=615-178&icrid=0x00b7ab0b&clt=hwrap1&vsrch_str=&vsrch_brand=&vsrch_cat=&st_amount=&end_amount=&start=&vfrom=&prev=&vnext=&category_list=:0

Part Number 615-175 (which is the one for sale) is meant for 2000-2010 applications (PI I am assuming).
https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bin/vm91corp30r/item-dtl.w?sid=pJalUHKitlokdkad013113501489897422&item=615-175&icrid=&clt=hwrap1&vsrch_str=615-175&vsrch_brand=ALL&vsrch_cat=ALL&st_amount=&end_amount=&start=&vfrom=&prev=&vnext=&category_list=:0

So when you're talking Dorman dyno testing, are you talking the same manifold or the older style?

·
Super Moderator
9,528 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
http://modulardepot.com/forums/showthread.php?p=896780

The PI version that was tested was shown to have 12HP and 18TQ more than the Dorman PI version.
Just wondering which intake they had, but it sounds like based on the last post they had the 615-175. Cause you have to admit, according to everything I've read, by bolting on the PI intake, you gain about 12hp & 18tq. So it would seem to me that if they LOST that, they bolted on an NPI intake. Makes sense, right? It just seems funny that a PI manifold from Dorman would make the same as an NPI manifold.

·
Super Moderator
9,528 Posts
It just seems funny that a PI manifold from Dorman would make the same as an NPI manifold.
I can believe it all right, considering the quality of many of Dorman's other products. A year ago before I knew better I bought a Dorman upper control arm. About 11,000 miles later it's making a lot of racket. :rolleyes:

Its replacement is definitely going to be Motorcraft. Spend twice the money, get ten times the service life. :)

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just found on crownvic.net where they were talking about the Dorman intakes. They said Lonnie dyno tested the PI intake and it was crap. Not only did the dyno show the bad performance, they have more issues when mating them up to NPI heads than the Ford Racing PI intake did (which they recommended, BTW).

Oh well, I thought I was giving someone a heads up to a deal, but ***sigh***

·
Super Moderator
9,528 Posts
Knowledge is just as valuable as good deal, right? :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts