TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a problem. I drove the car from my room today to the gym on base, less than 5 minutes away. Car was running fine. went in to workout, came out an hour later and hit the key, the car was running very rough and didnt want to idle above about 500. I thought it was weird, so I shut it off and tried to restart it. now, when I turn the key it starts, idles rough for a second and dies. No check engine light on, everything seems fine. This is the first engine problem I have had with this car since I got it in 2006. It has always started, and I am at a loss for what could be wrong.

Somebody give me an idea of where to start, I dont have a ton of money to put into it right now, so the cheaper the better.

Thanks,

Jamie

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just tried to start it again. Now it doesn't even fire just turns over and it also has a check engine light but I think that's because I disconnected the maf nothing seems loose and this started all of a sudden. Good battery plenty of fuel bit maybe the pump isn't running. Anybody know how to reset it just in case

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry about the previous post....I was on my wifes iPhone. Anyway, when I push the fuel pump cutoff reset switch in the trunk, there is nothing, it doesnt move. Not sure if that means it isnt tripped, or what, as I have never had to mess with it before. After work tomorrow, I am going to go back to the gym and check the fuel rail to see if the pump is running. if it isnt, should be pretty easy to track down. If it is, I guess I am looking somewhere else. I smell a slight odor of gas in the car, but not sure if that is because of the repeated start attempts. I disconnected the MAF and tried to start it also, but no go. As I said, I tried to start it again and it just turns over, never fires at all. after I let off the key, a couple of seconds later the check engine light comes on, but when I first turn the car to run, it isnt on.

I am lost....and at the worst time. 10 more days and I can work on it in my garage, but until then, I dont have any place to deal with it in my spare time, due to scheduling.

Good news off of all of this is that when I get it running again, I am pretty sure that its getting the 5 speed conversion.....looking forward to that.

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
What about IAC valve? Mine decided to stick one day and my car wouldn't start unless I had my foot on the pedal.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
What about IAC valve? Mine decided to stick one day and my car wouldn't start unless I had my foot on the pedal.
X2 This is definitely something to consider. IAC could be stuck closed, opening the throttle allows in more air. I have seen it many times.
-Rob

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried firewalling the pedal while starting it and it didnt change anything, if in the few seconds it was running originally I tapped the gas, it would kill it, not even try to increase the RPM or smooth out.

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Hm, it may very well be the fuel pump... Definitely get some pressure readings at the fuel rail.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked pressure at the fuel rail and nothing...not even a dribble. when it was trying to run before, it had to be running what fuel it had in the system out. I cant here the fuel pump running either. Can I jumper the fuel cut off in the trunk to find out if its bad.....long enough to see if the pump is running? Also, which fuse is it for the fuel pump? I dont have an owners manual or any wiring diagrams.

Thanks guys,

Jamie

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You can check for power in the inertia switch in the trunk. You should have power on both sides when the fuel pump relay is turned on. If you have power here and still no fuel up to the filter, it is most likely a bad pump. You can "hotwire" the fuel pump here as well. Get a jumper and run it to the back if you want to apply power to the fuel pump continuously.
-Rob

·
Registered
100 Posts
Do you hear the pump come on when you turn the key on? There should be an audible buzz or whine from the back of the car. If it isn't doing that, then you have a bad relay or wiring issue. I would think that with the way that it started acting up, those things are unlikely.

If you have a buddy, have him hit the gas tank a few times while you try to start it. Sometimes a bad fuel pump will react and start working, much like tapping a starter that is on it's way out.

If it is the fuel pump, the tank isn't ALL that difficult to drop, and it should be easy to replace from there. I know you would have to unbolt the exhaust (near the fuel tank, obviously) but I can't remember if I had to undo the driveshaft. I thought I was able to avoid that, but I only needed the tank down part way (leaky fuel line).

If you are hearing the pump, then I would definately check on the IAC, as they do tend to fail in Fords.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so, I jumpered past the intertia switch, nothing. cant here the pump runnning. looked in the power distribution box under the hood, nothing looks blown. I am guessing fuel pump. I want to hook up a multimeter to it to check for voltages before i drop the tank though, and none of its probably going to happen until after we move into the new house at the end of next week.

If anybody else has any ideas, please post them up, I will be glad to try them.

Jamie

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
There is a vent tube that goes over the driveshaft; it equalizes pressure on the two 'humps'.

You have to take one side loose to get the gas tank to drop all the way down.

That's the one I forget about...

:)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, I got the thing in the garage at the new house. tried cranking it again, just to see, and it spit and sputtered, but never ran. I poked the schrader valve on the fuel rail and just got a little dribble out with no real pressure. I cant even here the fuel pump trying to run.

I need pointed towards the electrical schematics for the fuel system if anybody has them. I want to measure out voltages to make sure the pump is being told to run, then find out if it is running or not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts