TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car drove fine for a few days after my mechanic tightened up all my MAF stuff, until yesterday. Coming home from work it started with the car wanting to die turning right with just a little bit of throttle. About 3/4 a mile down the road the car started to miss and the check engine light would come on and go back off. At one point the RPM's jumped up to 3000 and stayed there like it was stuck in gear, then finally shifted. I get into my subdivision and all of a sudden when I give it some gas the car just boggs down REALLY bad, to the point of going no where. Then I hear it the exhaust pop like my 67 Pontiac did when it had no compression in one of the cylinders when I would give it gas. When I pull in the parking lot the car would want to die then the RPM's would come back up and the car would surge forward some then drop back down. I'm gonna take it back down to the shop Monday.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I just called the shop and he said the only reading he is getting from the computer is from the 02 sensors, saying its running rich. We both are leaning towards a bad MAF sensor, or something in that area. Last week he told me the connections around the MAF were loose. He tightened them up and the car ran perfect for a day and a half. It's a 90MM Lightning MAF that I put on a few years back. He said he was going to test the MAF and see what showed up. I've got a Jerry II chip in the car, which is set up for the 90MM MAF, if the sensor was bad, would the chip somehow cause it not to show up?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Try unplugging the MAF and the EEC will return to speed density. If it runs OK with it unplugged and gets bad when you plug it in it's most likely a bad MAF

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
^ If that doesn't do anything then check the chip to make sure its seated properly and that it didn't work loose.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
That depends on anything else your car is tuned to do with the chip. For example if you had different injectors you would need to leave the chip in ofr it to run

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I would try and test with the chip in. You won't be running like that for long since it is only a troubleshooting test

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went down to talk to him and he said it was throwing two codes. He couldn't remember which two(he was pretty busy) but it was either 174 and 175 or 175 and 176. He said one code was showing the o2 sensors running wide open, or something like that. And the other code had to do with the computer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to pick up the car and the first thing I did was unplug the MAF sensor. As soon as I did that and started it up the car ran like crap. Idle was all over the place, when I gave it gas the car acted like it wanted to die, and blew carbon out something bad. So I shut it off and decided to pull the chip. Well, the first time I started it, I put it into drive and the car died. Started it back up and it evened out some. The idle didn't jump around, and actually seemed kind of smooth. It did bog down some each time I would give it gas on take off, and had crappy pick up(didn't hot rod it). Could my Jerry 2 chip have gone bad? Or be going bad? Is there any way to test the chip?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Maybe clean the contacts that are on the chip. Could just be corrosion. Worth a shot..

Jay

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FordMan, after seeing your post, I really hadn't thought about cleaning the connections. So I just got back from trying it, and sadly it didn't work. I pulled fuse #15, cranked it a few times, cleaned up the connections and hooked everything back up. When I first started the car everything seemed ok. Then the check engine light came on and the volts dropped some. I could tell the car started to run rough again and if I gave it gas it would bog down real bad. Matter of fact I pushed the gas in a little and held it and it kept bogging down. When I took my foot off the gas it stopped. So I shut off the car, started it back up and the CEL was now off. I gave it some gas and everything once again seemed fine. About 30 seconds later it happened again. I'm starting to wonder if the chip hasn't gone bad.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Have you check the other obvious stuff like fuel filter, fuel pressure or vacuum leaks?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts