TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im in the market for a new radiator. I have a few questions please.

My stock radiator is 25x25 over all size all aluminum single core.

Im looking into buying one thats 25.750x19.50 dual core summit, I can fit the width no problem.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-380325&N=700+400304+115&autoview=sku

Questions:

My stock radiator has inlet and outlet hoses on the passenger side. This summit is driver/passenger hoses. I can easily connect my inlet on the drivers side on this new summit.

Does that matter?

My stock radiator inlet has a thicker hose than my bottom outlet. The summit radiator has it backwards, thicker outlet and thinnner inlet.

Does that matter?

My stock radiator is 24x25 single core. The summit is 25.750x19.50 double core. The summit radiator is 6 inches shorter than my stocker but with dual cores.

Does that matter? Or will the dual core out weigh the shorter radiator?

This is the closet radiator summit makes to my stock fitments, and I want to use summit if I can.

Thanks for any help.

·
5,650 Posts
awdRocks said:
My stock radiator has inlet and outlet hoses on the passenger side. This summit is driver/passenger hoses. I can easily connect my inlet on the drivers side on this new summit.

Does that matter?
It won't matter as long as you keep the inlet with the inlet and outlet with outlet. Since it's on the other side, it can easily be connected with elbows and couplers, or some kind of flex hose.

awdRocks said:
My stock radiator inlet has a thicker hose than my bottom outlet. The summit radiator has it backwards, thicker outlet and thinnner inlet.

Does that matter?
The only problem you'll run into is fitting the original hose on. Since it's backwards on the new radiator, you'll end up with one hose being too big and one being to small. It won't be a problem as long as you can find the adapters to step up or down, but I don't know where to get any (or if such adapters exist).

awdRocks said:
My stock radiator is 24x25 single core. The summit is 25.750x19.50 double core. The summit radiator is 6 inches shorter than my stocker but with dual cores.

Does that matter? Or will the dual core out weigh the shorter radiator?
As long as you are able to secure the radiator, there won't be a problem. There are probably rubber insulators on the bottom and brackets on the top for the stock radiator, so you'd probably have to fab something up. The dual core may outweigh the single, but it would only be by a few pounds. If the new radiator is shorter, you'll have to fab up some kind of bracket to hold it upright to the radiator support.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Chris...

I ordered the radiator. What I meant by out weigh (maybe thats the wrong term), is would the dual core have more volume than the single core even though the dual is smaller. Yes it will. :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
hey AWD, I am having problems figuring out which thermostat housing and top radiator hose to use. I have an 02 explorer engine with aluminum crossover. Does the stock explorer radiator have the top radiator hose on the passenger side? If I use the thermostat housing from the explorer, my hose gets stretched. Anyway you could measure in a straight line from the thermostat housing to the top radiator hose inlet? I think I can use the explorer hose if I am correct.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
96_LX said:
hey AWD, I am having problems figuring out which thermostat housing and top radiator hose to use. I have an 02 explorer engine with aluminum crossover. Does the stock explorer radiator have the top radiator hose on the passenger side? If I use the thermostat housing from the explorer, my hose gets stretched. Anyway you could measure in a straight line from the thermostat housing to the top radiator hose inlet? I think I can use the explorer hose if I am correct.
Yes my 02 Explorer radiator has the inlet on the passenger side. My hose measures 21 inches total. The beginning of the hose that goes over the t-stat housing measures 17'' from that tip to the 90* bend on the hose, then another 4'' from that bend to the other tip of the hose over the inlet of the radiator.

I just bought a new radiator, it has the inlet on the drivers side, I might have to go with a braided hose, I dont think a normal hose can make the bend from the housing to the drivers side without crimping.... ill see.

You can see the hose on this pic, but you cant see the 90* bend. Right where the hose gets lost under the plastic shield is where the bend starts.

Hope this helped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts