TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I installed a aftermarket radio in my 91 thunderbird sport, I removed the factory radio and spliced the new headunit to a aftermarket harness that plugs directly into the factory plugs. The radio worked great, no issues, untill after about 5 uses, I turned the radio up a little further in volume and everything sudden stopped working. I checked the radio fuse under the dash and the one in the back of the head unit, I re spliced the connections and even tried a different head unit, with no luck. Unfortunately the factory radio was damaged in removal (thanks Ford security) and I can't use the old radio to test. I'm unsure what else to do, not sure if anyone has any advice, or knows what could have happened? Is there any other fuses that effect the radio operation?

·
Super Moderator
17,043 Posts
Is the new radio under warranty? If it’s not the fuses I’d suspect it and get it replaced, it sounds like something in it failed, not the car. How did you destroy the old one? The security tabs are on the sides, damaging those shouldn’t impede operation to verify?

Which stereo did your car come with originally? Eg Regular Stereo, Premium sound or JBL? The latter two have separate amplifiers that you need to bypass when installing an aftermarket Headunit.

·
Super Moderator
10,655 Posts
Sounds to me like you blew the 20w speakers, or the finals in the radio.

A 9v battery, applied to the speaker leads will make a popping noise; give that a shot and report back. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
The stock wiring on my Cougar was very short. Had the same issue. Found I had no constant power. Check both power sources for juice. You need both constant and ignition power for the unit to work in my experience

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Also check the constant voltage fuse - for a 1991, that should be the 5A MEMORY fuse in the power distribution box (by the battery). Most after markets actually use that for power; they use the switched line to control power internally.

If that's what's blown, you CAN try dropping a 7A or so fuse in; I'd suggest instead running a clean line into the engine bay with its own fuse just for the radio.

RwP

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also check the constant voltage fuse - for a 1991, that should be the 5A MEMORY fuse in the power distribution box (by the battery). Most after markets actually use that for power; they use the switched line to control power internally.

If that's what's blown, you CAN try dropping a 7A or so fuse in; I'd suggest instead running a clean line into the engine bay with its own fuse just for the radio.

RwP
It was the memory fuse, thank you! Probably gonna run that additional power lead, do I need to just run it directly to the red power lead off my radio?

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
It was the memory fuse, thank you! Probably gonna run that additional power lead, do I need to just run it directly to the red power lead off my radio?
Yep, that's how I'd do it.

(So far my MEM fuse is liking my "60W PER CHANNEL QUAD OUTPUT!!!" head unit *grins* )

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,655 Posts
Without a switching power supply, the best you can get from 14.4V is about 36W at about 5% distortion.

That's with a bridged amp...

:)

The Pyle amp I rebuilt has 120V rails, lol. (56A @14.4V, at about 1% distortion, mostly crossover distortion)

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
*dry* You DO notice it's in quotes, right?

That 60W is probably some weird variant of Peak Music Power Output.

You know that "150W PER CHANNEL PMPO" on a set of speakers run off of four AA batteries.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,655 Posts
I know, Ralph; it's just funny to see the claims.
You know what I'm talking about.

If it has a 10 awg power wire, it might make 60W/ch.
Probably not, unless it's alpine or something, lol.

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
I know, Ralph; it's just funny to see the claims.
You know what I'm talking about.

If it has a 10 awg power wire, it might make 60W/ch.
Probably not, unless it's alpine or something, lol.
It's not an Alpine.

*dry* I think I'm pretty safe, especially since Sweetie doesn't like it all that loud in there.

RwP

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. I've had the same issues with my Fords. Trying to figure out some other things with my vehicles. It's been a long time since I've seen one of those stereos. About 13 vehicles and 20+ stereos ago. I just have amps and a box of random electronics. It's like a flea market around here anymore.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts