TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Ford thunderbird lx 4.6 v8
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was wanting to get a new shifter but on my original there’s a overdrive button was wondering if you guys had any idea on how to put the od button somewhere else if that makes sense I usually turn overdrive off when I’m town so yes I use the button few times a day

·
Registered
74 Posts
What about other shifter handles? I would prefer a more t-handle type of shifter, like on some years of Mustang. Would one of those work on our cars considering that many of those auto Mustangs used the same transmissions? I've seen pics of a few different kinds, some of them have the overdrive button on them as well.

·
Registered
1994 Ford thunderbird lx 4.6 v8
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s a simple momentary switch you can wire up to the two wires in the console, you can mount it anywhere, you shouldn’t need a video to figure it out. Ergonomically it’s hard to beat the stock handle
Doesn’t seem like much thought there’d be more to it thanks tho

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, not like that, though I like Hurst. That looks too obvious, doesn't fit with the rest of the interior. But there were a few years of Mustang shifter t-handles that looked "normal", as in stock for a Thunderbird. Black, with the buttons on the left. And it's the same transmission. But I don't know if they could just be swapped or if the whole mechanism would have to be changed.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
A Fox body Mustang had a wimpy looking auto shifter, hopefully you're not talking about that one, lol!

Al

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
There arent a lot of T handles that look "factory". And even less thatll fit our autos. Youre better off keeping what you have, or getting a hurst or B&M and leather wrapping it yourself.

Edit: the fox mustang T handles youre thinking of dont have a button for Over Drive off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A Fox body Mustang had a wimpy looking auto shifter, hopefully you're not talking about that one, lol!

Al
No, I don't think I would pick that type, that's the one that looks like somebody bent the rod with a vise or something, right? No, not that, though the handle part with the button looks ok, like a modern, plastic version of the '60s Mustang shifters, which I would love to have if one could be made to actuate the Thunderbird transmission and not have any chrome on it. The aftermarket ones try too hard, look like brass knuckles or jet airliner throttles.

Well, Googling this just now I can't find anything like what I thought I saw before. Must have been real tired or looking at false images (t-handles for other makes that Google thought I'd be interested in since I specifically said Mustang, thanks for nothing, 'droid). It's surprising that there are so few choices, I saw a few solid choices for Mopars that don't matter because it's the wrong transmission. Ah well.

·
Super Moderator
5,488 Posts
Well, Googling this just now I can't find anything like what I thought I saw before. Must have been real tired or looking at false images (t-handles for other makes that Google thought I'd be interested in since I specifically said Mustang, thanks for nothing, 'droid). It's surprising that there are so few choices, I saw a few solid choices for Mopars that don't matter because it's the wrong transmission. Ah well.
You realize that if it uses a larger thread, you can bush it down, right?

Don't turn down a handle just because it showed up in a 1967 Charger.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,828 Posts
There’s not much that will be a direct fit most likely, even between factory designs for the same transmission, but it wouldn’t be too difficult to make something work. You just need it to be a large enough diameter to slip over the shift rod, have a button that pushes downward on the center lock and a way to secure it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There’s not much that will be a direct fit most likely, even between factory designs for the same transmission, but it wouldn’t be too difficult to make something work. You just need it to be a large enough diameter to slip over the shift rod, have a button that pushes downward on the center lock and a way to secure it.
Ya, that's what I'm finding out. How about the t-handle from a 1993 Thunderbird? I believe those are AOD transmissions. Do those handles have the overdrive button attached?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,195 Posts
Good thought, but the AODs don't have an electronic OD lockout since they're not electronically controlled. There's a separate drive range for the AODs that the 4R70Ws don't have - OD (full auto with overdrive) and D (auto up to 3rd gear only), in addition to manual 2 and 1.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is the shift handle in my '02 crown vic. Kinda bulky but has the OD button.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts