TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the KYB's I ordered are here. I sure hope it warms up soon so I get get some real work done. Heres a pic. 150 bux shipped

I keep hearing things about the front upper shock mount should be replaced while I'm at it. Any opinions??

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
My '92's upper front shock mounts were fine when I redid the shocks / springs / UCAs with over 130,000 miles about 16 months ago.

It's just a shock as you and I know ...
... not a front strut holding the spindle in a certain allignment like a McPhearson strut.

There is a rubber spring seat up there, that was fine as well, and still is.

Yours may be different, different roads, seasons, conditions, etc.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I would definately replace the upper shock mounts....cheap insurance....I did not replace them on my 95, and not only did one of the studs break upon re-assembly, I had a "clunk" that seemed to be coming from one of them...

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
I'm with Earl.

Unless you just don't have the money, then replace all bushings / mounts while you've got it apart, with good ones.

I HATE having to work on cars, so I'd rather do it right once than do it twice :diablo: .

RwP

·
Banned
613 Posts
if your going to do anything ....do it right!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
inspect the part....if it is alright, then no need to replace it.....if you don't know what you're looking at, then post some pics, and ask away!

·
Banned
613 Posts
thats BS!.... if you're going through all that work and the part is inexpensive to replace. just change it. what the point of it being good now, than a year later when it goes bad, you have to do double labor and fix it again for nothing.

cheap insurance!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
thats bs.... if you r going through all that work and the part is inexpensive to replace. just change it. what the point of it being good now, than a year later when it goes bad, you have to do double labor and fix it again for nothing.

cheap insurance!
:zwthstpd: I totally agree. I changed the radius arm bushings on an ex-girlfriend's Exploder and when I went to Discount to get them, the guy asked if I wanted the rubber ones for $9 or the poly ones for $11; obviously, for $2 I asked for the poly ones.

They said WE ONLY HAVE ONE POLY IN STOCK, but we have plenty in rubber. People always get the cheapest and for $2 for something you will NEVER fix again on that vehicle just makes no sense to me.

People just don't think - that's the only explanation I can come up with...

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
thats BS!.... if you're going through all that work and the part is inexpensive to replace. just change it. what the point of it being good now, than a year later when it goes bad, you have to do double labor and fix it again for nothing.

cheap insurance!
call it bull sh1t if you want......but there is no need to replace parts that are not worn out.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 XLT V8
975 Posts
call it bull sh1t if you want......but there is no need to replace parts that are not worn out.....:rolleyes:
For those of you south of the Mason-Dixon line, I would agree. Now, because beamerboy lives in the salt belt, I'm going to say replace them while its apart.

·
Banned
613 Posts

ok..so you deal with the double labor waste of time... and money, if you dont do it yourself that is. and call it a day.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
ok..so you deal with the double labor waste of time... and money, if you dont do it yourself that is. and call it a day.
why would it be a waste if the part is okay?

use some common sense.

and for me, I do all of my own work....and know how to inspect parts to see if they need changing or not..

argue all you want, I stand by what I said.

·
Banned
613 Posts
thats why americas first amendment is so great.

i just argue the fact for a CHEAP insurance part, such as a bushing in this case, there is NO reason NOT to change it, so you wont have to down the road and do a whole suspension job ..... again just to change a $5 part.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
do it once do it right end of story

why not replace the old stuff why its apart

would you change one brake pad if only one was worn down?

your driving around a 10 or 15 yr old car why not put new **** on it while its apart

thats some backwoods ****

·
Registered
917 Posts
dang you all get feisty about upper shock mounts

1 - 20 of 84 Posts