TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in dire need of new shocks, I'm at 115k miles now and I still have the factory stuff on there... I guess it's been a steady decline so you don't really notice them going bad.

Now, before you all jump and go "use the search function for recommendations on new shocks"; I did that but that was quite unsatisfying. Often someone posts "are Foo Bar shocks any good, with a resulting discussion on those. Or a post "should I buy Bilstein or Tokico" with a 50/50 split in replies on which one is the preferred shock.

I do not have any oppurtunity, nor the knowledge, to install new ones myself. I also am on a budget, and I can definitely live with not-so-extreme-performance, as this car is just daily driven to and from work, not to take it out to the tracks.

Would simply going to the dealer and asking for a new set of OEM shocks work for me? What other shocks that I can get for parts+labor for under $500?

I'd also need parts that a shop can readily order for me. Or I guess I could order them "tirerack" style and have the shop just install them for me.

·
8,239 Posts
call dan newman at fordpartshq.com and order the tbird sport shocks. I think you can use IRS cobra shocks in the rear, might want to search that out also.

Don't let the dealer install them, get a regular shop to do it. Its a real simple deal.

JH

·
Registered
598 Posts
JustinH said:
call dan newman at fordpartshq.com and order the tbird sport shocks. I think you can use IRS cobra shocks in the rear, might want to search that out also.

Don't let the dealer install them, get a regular shop to do it. Its a real simple deal.

JH
Yeah what he said, last time I checked with Dan, I think the sport fronts are around $60-65/piece and the Cobra rears are about $75/piece. That's under $300 before shipping

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JustinH said:

JH
The "tbird sport shocks", do they have a brand name or is it the OEM ford shocks? My car actually has the "sports" trim, so would these be simply a factory replacement?

What else do I need to buy when I bring the car in? Any additional caps/bolts/brackets?

·
8,239 Posts
motorcraft brand, thats all the dealer sells.

You don't need anything, they need a wall mounted compressor.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I got KYB and i love them, the shocks come with everthing u need. just stick and move.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Thunderchicken17, how long have you had the KYB's on your car? I haven't heard the best things about KYB shocks' longevity.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I have KYBs on the rear of my car, with the sport fronts, and they suck, they are getting swapped out very soon. I would much prefer stock Motorcraft replacements.....

But they are cheap.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I'm saving for Konis...right after I'm done buying a new intake manifold, a new cam, a new distributor and coil, new water pump, new fuel pump, new transmission, new paintjob... well maybe not after the paintjob, but it's still a ways off. Hopefully they still make them by then. :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rich95XR7 said:
I have KYBs on the rear of my car, with the sport fronts, and they suck, they are getting swapped out very soon. I would much prefer stock Motorcraft replacements.....

But they are cheap.
Which ones do you think suck? the KYB in the rear or the sports in the front?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I HAVE had them for about 2months now. for front shocks and struts it cost me just under $200.

·
Registered
598 Posts
thunderchicken17 said:
I HAVE had them for about 2months now. for front shocks and struts it cost me just under $200.
That's not bad for front shocks and struts...so, where do you put your struts at? :D

·
8,239 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:

But they are cheap.
The kybs are junk.

Stick with the motorcraft stuff, so what if you save a few bucks, whats it cost you in the long run?

·
Registered
658 Posts
i guess everyone has there own opinion. id go talk to a performance place like ramchargers or summit. ask them what they think. i like my KYBs but that is my opinion.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
The real question is: What did you have on prior to KYBs? That'll influence your decision greatly. I had stock motorcrafts and would swear by them over the KYBs.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
KYB shocks are sub contracted to various third world/child labor factories in East Asia. Quality Control is very poor, I think Wes once posted about his shocks blowing out. Stay with Motorcraft or if you go for true performance shocks if you lower the car, get Konis. There is no point in running a shock that is valved for OE spring rate with aftermarket springs..But since you are staying at OE ride height, get Motorcraft.

joseph

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm about to change my struts in the front next week and I am going with motorcraft, since I don't plan on lowering my bird anythime soon I figure why not go for what has lasted the longest and done me the best. I have talked to many performance shops around here and 3 out of the 4 say motorcraft for the bird.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts