TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this new exhaust system (from the turbo downpipe to the rear bumper) made a couple weeks ago to replace the leaking mild steel exhaust that was done half azz by those jokers at Forced Fab who built the turbo system.

When removing the old exhaust the guy making the stainless stuff noticed that where the old exhaust went from single 3.5" diameter pipe to dual 3", they used a 3" X 3" X 3" Y instead of a 3.5" x dual 3" so it was choked down to 3" at the merge. The new system should be flowing a lot better and the car even feels a little stronger.

David

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Top quality work, this is gonna make a big difference if your old system sucked.

·
Super Moderator
12,082 Posts
Very nice David! I like the way you cut the rear bumper to recess the mufflers and tips to keep everything tucked up under the car nice and clean.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice David! I like the way you cut the rear bumper to recess the mufflers and tips to keep everything tucked up under the car nice and clean.
Thanks...rear bumper cover wasn't cut, that's how it looks stock on the 89-93 SC.

David

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beautiful! So....how much did it cost ya? Gotta go now and wipe the drool off my aged chin.:D
About $1750. Stainless materials are pricey, but the labor ($65 per hour) for doing all the cutting, tacking, removing, final welding, reinstalling, repeat...over and over is what cost the most. The 3" non chambered stainless mufflers are not included in that price and were reused from the original exhaust.

David

·
Registered
742 Posts
You know, not to change the subject here, as the new exhaust system is almost too pretty to use....but the first thing I noticed is that you don't have all of the IRS 'fixes' plastered all over the IRS subframe. Is this in the drag car in your sig?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know, not to change the subject here, as the new exhaust system is almost too pretty to use....but the first thing I noticed is that you don't have all of the IRS 'fixes' plastered all over the IRS subframe. Is this in the drag car in your sig?
Yes, it's the same car. It's not really a drag car, because I only take it to the track about once a year just to see what it will do. I don't have a cage or most of the other stuff required for the ET and MPH the car is capable of running. You are also correct about there not being many mods to the suspension or the IRS.

I'm running with stock shocks, springs, halfshafts ect. The Ford trac-loc diff was replaced with an Aburn Pro limited slip diff and stock 3.27 gears were replaced with factory 3.73 gears. All the bearings and seals were replaced and I did install a new set of factory style rubber mounting bushings when the pumpkin was installed.

If using an automatic transmission, the stock stuff holds up to a lot more power than most people think. The non locking converter provides a little more cushion against the type of shock loading that causes the IRS damage. It's only a concern if launching the car off the trans brake with a set of slicks on a sticky track. So far nothing has broken, but the most I've launched with is 6 pounds of boost. No wheel hop, and it tracks very straight when the tires spin....even when smoking the tires from a 70 mph roll :eek:

With all the changes I've made to the car in the past 9 months, it's much quicker than the numbers in my signature indicate. I'm 98% certian that it will run high 10s as driven on the street with 14.5 pounds of boost, and if nothing breaks ...high 9s with 23 pounds and race gas.

David

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yes, it's the same car. It's not really a drag car, because I only take it to the track about once a year just to see what it will do. I don't have a cage or most of the other stuff required for the ET and MPH the car is capable of running. You are also correct about there not being many mods to the suspension or the IRS.

I'm running with stock shocks, springs, halfshafts ect. The Ford trac-loc diff was replaced with an Aburn Pro limited slip diff and stock 3.27 gears were replaced with factory 3.73 gears. All the bearings and seals were replaced and I did install a new set of factory style rubber mounting bushings when the pumpkin was installed.

If using an automatic transmission, the stock stuff holds up to a lot more power than most people think. The non locking converter provides a little more cushion against the type of shock loading that causes the IRS damage. It's only a concern if launching the car off the trans brake with a set of slicks on a sticky track. So far nothing has broken, but the most I've launched with is 6 pounds of boost. No wheel hop, and it tracks very straight when the tires spin....even when smoking the tires from a 70 mph roll :eek:

With all the changes I've made to the car in the past 9 months, it's much quicker than the numbers in my signature indicate. I'm 98% certian that it will run high 10s as driven on the street with 14.5 pounds of boost, and if nothing breaks ...high 9s with 23 pounds and race gas.

David
Roger that. I don't have plans to install a 5-speed in my car, but I was curious as to how much 'abuse' the IRS can handle. I also am going to run a non-locking AOD convertor, but I don't plan on having anything that radical under the hood. Thanks for the information, sir.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Very nice! I bet it really makes you grin if it runs as good as it looks!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you bringing this one or the other one to Joliet?
Keith,

If I can't get the engine cooling issues resolved on the new 4.3 motor that was recently installed in my 91 SC, then yes I'll be bringing this car to race in the same class.

Since it's not track legal for anything quicker than 11.5, I'll just use a set of the MT drag radials I've got mounted on Cobra Rs instead of lugging the Bogarts and real race tires.

David

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Very nice! I bet it really makes you grin if it runs as good as it looks!
It actually runs a lot better than it looks, and yes very big grin everytime I drive it. BTW, I drove it to work this morning.

This is the fastest semi stock appearing SC around.
Here's a picture of the exterior....it looks like your average 14 second SC.

David

1 - 20 of 39 Posts