1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
It definitely has the dark empire strikes back vibe to it. That movie is far and away my favorite. I'm still getting a kick out of how everybody is calling it the 7th star wars movie. Guess the 2 ewok adventures and the holiday special don't count

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I think part of the Empire Strikes Back vibe comes from not knowing what to expect. The prequels had a completely different feel as we all knew what (but not how) things were going to play out.

But they probably should have delayed the trailer one more week. Aren't we supposed to be hyped about Back to the Future right now?

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It definitely has the dark Empire Strikes Back vibe to it. That movie is far and away my favorite. I'm still getting a kick out of how everybody is calling it the 7th star wars movie. Guess the 2 ewok adventures and the holiday special don't count
I like the darker feel too. I always thought that the STAR WARS universe should be a very dark place. Not so cutesy like the prequels were. Based on the previews I think the CGI is more integral to the story instead of Being the story as in 1 - 3. I have great faith that JJ Abrams will do this movie justice.

The ESB was my favorite too. The beginning battle on Hoth was just incredible. Such a nice change of pace from the let's destroy a Death Star monotony of 3 and 5.

·
Super Moderator
16,826 Posts
Really of the three original movies Empire is the only one that's just a plain awesome movie, whether you're a sci fi fan or not, that movie just had fantastic direction and a very good plot. The first one, had some great effects for 1977 but the story was pretty cliched, and Jedi was only memorable for Admiral Ackbar :tongue:, the three way split between the kiddie fan Ewok adventure , the Emperor attempting to turn Luke to the dark side and the space battle outside the death star just dragged on and on IMO. That movie didn't get cooking until the last 20-30 minutes, in that the death star tunnel chase was pretty sweet. What made Empire such an awesome sequel was that it didn't let the celebration after the events of the first succeed, all protagonists were dealt huge blows by the end of Empire - Han encased in carbonate and shipped away on a bounty, Leia losing him, Luke with his hand lopped off, not to mention dealt a severe mind**** by Vader's revelation, even Lando losing is safe haven of cloud city(presumably) and lucrative interests related to it by ultimately helping Han(unsuccessfully) and Leia escape.

I'm very optimistic about The Force Awakens in that scenario. Blowing up the Death star in the first one was a huge blow to the Empire, and it put the conspirators(rebel alliance) on the Empire's **** list, so that whole next movie(ESB) was dealing with the direct aftermath, running from one seedy side of the Galaxy to another attempting to evade them, rather unsuccessfully. I can only imagine the blowing up of yet another death star, killing the Emperor and Vader and 20-30 years of stewing and rebuilding, people still presumably clinging to their cushy Empire gigs will be baying for blood.

No thanks on pre-order tickets though, I'm not a nerd:tongue:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Really of the three original movies Empire is the only one that's just a plain awesome movie, whether you're a sci fi fan or not, that movie just had fantastic direction and a very good plot. The first one, had some great effects for 1977 but the story was pretty cliched, and Jedi was only memorable for Admiral Ackbar :tongue:, the three way split between the kiddie fan Ewok adventure , the Emperor attempting to turn Luke to the dark side and the space battle outside the death star just dragged on and on IMO. That movie didn't get cooking until the last 20-30 minutes, in that the death star tunnel chase was pretty sweet. What made Empire such an awesome sequel was that it didn't let the celebration after the events of the first succeed, all protagonists were dealt huge blows by the end of Empire - Han encased in carbonate and shipped away on a bounty, Leia losing him, Luke with his hand lopped off, not to mention dealt a severe mind**** by Vader's revelation, even Lando losing is safe haven of cloud city(presumably) and lucrative interests related to it by ultimately helping Han(unsuccessfully) and Leia escape.

I'm very optimistic about The Force Awakens in that scenario. Blowing up the Death star in the first one was a huge blow to the Empire, and it put the conspirators(rebel alliance) on the Empire's **** list, so that whole next movie(ESB) was dealing with the direct aftermath, running from one seedy side of the Galaxy to another attempting to evade them, rather unsuccessfully. I can only imagine the blowing up of yet another death star, killing the Emperor and Vader and 20-30 years of stewing and rebuilding, people still presumably clinging to their cushy Empire gigs will be baying for blood.

No thanks on pre-order tickets though, I'm not a nerd:tongue:
I just hope they don't break out a geriatric Jar-jar into this next trilogy.
-g

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Well, seeing as they have so far squandered any and all chances to kill him, The Force Awakens might just be the perfect opportunity for some overdue, cold-blooded fanservice.

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL :tongue:

You're not the first person I've heard say that ....

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
local theater has a package deal to see all 7 back to back to back to back to back to back on the opening day for $55.........hmmm i could definitely schedule some naps in sections of episodes 1-3.

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! Now that's a movie marathon!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I don't consider myself a nerd but I have always loved star wars. I wasn't old enough to see the original trilogy in the theater when they first released but at least I got to in the 90's.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
yeah i seen the original 3 when they were re-released in the late 90s and I thought they were pretty cool, the 3 that followed weren't as good though

I like what jj did with star-trek, IMO its the best one yet, hopefully he does this some justice, I'll definitely be there around christmas time if there's any seats available

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I was able to get my wife to sit down and watch the movies over the last couple months in this order 4,5,6,2,3. She really enjoyed the originals and not so much the prequels. She was honestly pissed when Vader died. She felt it was bs that he's good now and had no chance to really redeem himself beyond killing the emperor.

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How Cute! I bet they had a great time.

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This trailer's amazing! Probably all the best highlights from the movie but oh well ...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wpYnwS-BqOg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Waitaminute- I see something familiar at 0:43 there. Those are torque converters (and a blower fan, I think) behind the netting. Looks like they've been sitting on layaway ever since Luke ordered them.

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL :tongue:

Torque converters make the best space junk!

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
Waitaminute- I see something familiar at 0:43 there. Those are torque converters (and a blower fan, I think) behind the netting. Looks like they've been sitting on layaway ever since Luke ordered them.
That is definitely a TC; it kinda looks like a centrifugal blower on top, and the dark/silver thing is a diode bridge out of an alternator.

I have one just like it right here, courtesy of GM. :)

Amazing how a "Long ago" civilization hit on the exact same design, lol.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts