TCCoA Forums banner

141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
The first half of this covers the Mandalorian pretty well. Then it descends into an ad for Disney streaming.

·
Super Moderator
16,828 Posts
I distinctly recall killing IG88 in Shadows of the Empire on N64. I hated that level, that droid gave me nightmares :tongue:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sU0ZVdg8mpQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I still have my n64. Usually when the power goes out during hurricanes the kids and I play goldeneye. The tv n64 and some of misc non sensitive electronics I run off the inverter. For some reason thats the only time we ever play it.

ive never seen that game before but im pretty sure you can probably find an n64 emulator and that rom on the internet somewhere.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I have my N64 still. I set it up for my kids and tried playing on it some time ago, but I found it to be unreliable. It would get all fuzzy and eventually just give me a black screen. That is, if it even starts playing anything at all.

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
Still have my NES, SNES, N64, etc. etc. and all the games and accessories to go with them - including the CRT TV. And yes, all work nicely still. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I took apart one of my controllers and replaced the joystick with a better one off ebay after it was broken. My other controller was still good so I just took it apart and added white lithium grease to prevent it from breaking. My favorite games were: F-ZeroX, Zelda OoT, 007 Golden Eye and Perfect Dark.

·
Super Moderator
16,828 Posts
I think Shadows of the Empire was one of the very first releases on the N64, I haven’t played it in probably 15 years but I remember the graphics being on par with most PS2 era games made several years later. That was one of my favs on the console. The Rush games, Mario Cart, Diddy Kong’s racing, Rogue Squadron, Vigilante 8, Goldeneye obviously, but also the underrated World is not Enough we’re my other favorite games I recall. Like an idiot I sold it, the expansion pack, 4 controllers and all the games to gamestop to buy a new PS3 :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
New trailer!! Not much different than the first, but a few new things.

After watching the last one several times and now this one, I have two questions:

1. How will Darth Vader be in the movie? We hear his breathing, so I'm assuming he will be in the movie somehow.

2. Why does C3PO have red eyes? Is he "evil"?

https://youtu.be/sirGDbq2BR0

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
I don’t think that is official, I think someone just edited the 2 together.

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
Lol! Baaaad humans!

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
I have my N64 still. I set it up for my kids and tried playing on it some time ago, but I found it to be unreliable. It would get all fuzzy and eventually just give me a black screen. That is, if it even starts playing anything at all.
That's the symptom of a heat related problem; take it apart, it's probably full of stuff.

If there's a HS fan, replace it, and you might need to remove the HS and apply some new HS compound.

That's usually fixable. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
My original NES still works like a charm! Only problem is with the different refresh rate of the HDTV, the gun doesn’t work right, so I can’t play Duck Hunt anymore.

·
Super Moderator
16,828 Posts
There were no fans in those old Nintendo’s, they ran absolutely silent. I remember being really upset when I first got my PS2 with it’s noisy fan and disk drive. So unrefined, and unreliable.

They (N64 and SNES) were super reliable for me too. Worst case scenario the cartridge wouldn’t get perfect contact and the screen would be black, which was always easily solved by wedging something between it and the slot :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
My original NES still works like a charm! Only problem is with the different refresh rate of the HDTV, the gun doesn’t work right, so I can’t play Duck Hunt anymore.
Mine does too. :)

Digital TV's work different; they don't have a scan line for the gun to see.

Any CRT based TV will work, if you can find one.

A CRT draws a line from the top of the screen, one line at a time, in sequence from upper left to bottom right; the gun is looking at the dot that's currently being written, and compares that to the trigger pull to see if you were on target or not.

The gun doesn't 'fire' anything, it's a photocell reading the screen. :)

Cats and dogs don't really see crt tv images, but they can see new ones; they update the pic in blocks. :)

If you ever need one, I still have a loose gold plated connector for the NES systems. That was a fix for them going bad.

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
The amazing thing to me is how this is all analog; digital didn't exist.

Philo Farnsworth (seriously) developed the basic tech in the 30's; the Vidicon tube and CRT were the commercial realizations of that.

I remember his wife on TV, during the moon landings: (He rarely did interviews)

Elma Farnsworth: We were watching it, and, when Neil Armstrong landed on the moon, Phil turned to me and said, "Pem, this has made it all worthwhile." Before then, he wasn't too sure.
A video signal is pretty awesome tech; you have to synchronize the horizontal and vertical scan frequencies with the transmitter, or you get garbage.

The Truly ******* Amazing part to me was when RCA added the color parts in the late 1953; they had to make it backwards compatible, because of all the existing sets.

They transmit several signals that are interrelated, Luminance, Chrominance, the existing sync signals, and the existing audio signals.

Audio is FM, all others are AM; the AM signal is arranged so a lightning strike or other interference makes a black sop, which is less annoying to the viewer. :)

The brightness is Luminance; the Chrominance is color info; all colors are available by adding and subtracting these two together.

The presence of a 3.579545MHz signal tells the TV it's a color signal, and some old TV's had a switch so you could turn it off; color flashes happened on some old B&W shows in the 60's.

I had to study all this in school; but 1080 hi-def has changed it a bunch; it's all done in one chip, and if something's bad, you buy a new board and replace the whole thing, lol.

It's still trippy to me that it's still one dot moving across the screen, unless it's digital. :)

141 - 160 of 168 Posts