TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1997 Thunderbird LX Sport
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, I'd be curious how the sound quality is from that Dual once you have it installed. Pics of installation also.
Thanks! I will let you know about the sound quality. Surely it will be better than the factory stereo. I had been considering a very similar Pioneer, but the $600 price tag always held me back. I am on the fence about installing it myself. Might get it done.

·
Premium Member
1997 Thunderbird LX Sport
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've always been almost universally disappointed with car stereo installations done by "pros" and with harness cables so cheap (Fits Ford Thunderbird 86-97 Factory Stereo to Aftermarket Radio Harness Adapter 709100412279 | eBay), I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Instead of proper soldered connections, they often use less reliable crimped connections or even worse strip-twist-electrical tape connections. Most stereo/car alarm installers figure that if its behind the dash or under the center console, the customer will never look/mess with it. If something disconnects a few months after installation, it won't be their problem.

My current project car had a "fancy" for the time Rodek stereo setup probably installed sometime in the late 80s early 90s; I ripped out all of the car stereo wiring as I found underneath the center console the wiring to be absolutely terrible. The most egregious example was the power connections to the amps which appeared to be no less than 4-5 crimped together wire segments no longer than 3" each. Why the stoner didn't just run a new wire to each amp is beyond me -- they kept grafting onto other grafts.
I really am considering installing it myself. I've had extensive sound systems in Thunderbirds 20+ years ago and now I just want a somewhat basic (no amps/crossovers) system but with all the modern conveniences.

One of my main goals with this head unit is to add GPS to the car. With the cell phone mirroring feature/ button I am suppose to be able to... we shall see. Since I want to go away from the factory amp I believe I will need to run new speaker wires from the unit to speakers. Or is it simpler with a harness?

I suppose the install would be easier if I use the factory amp and maybe I should, IDK. I just figure since it was so old, maybe I should bypass it. Should be fairly simple, I hope. Nothing like what I was doing back in the 98 with custom built boxes, 12's, 1200 watt amp to subs, separate amp for cabin speakers, crossovers, all the wiring, motorized head unit with a remote, and CD (was a big deal back then), 6 disc changer in trunk, amp cut off switches, etc.

So, since I have already been there and done all that; these days, I am fine with just 4 speaker set up. Although, the new speakers I installed last summer have the 6x9 and then 3 tweeters all built in each speaker... technically that is 16 speakers. It does not sound bad at all now, but the CD player skips a LOT., and I want Bluetooth, GPS, etc.

Any help or suggestion from anyone that has done their own install would be appreciated muchly. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts