TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
man, why couldn't Ford have given us T-Bird owners this kinda love back in the 90's?:

"An already efficient powertrain gets a boost in acceleration performance, with a 280-HP, 32-Valve DOHC engine. The optional Select Shift transmission allows for gear changes like a manual transmission without a clutch. The 32-valve 3.9L V8 has the free-breathing, high-output characteristics of four valves per cylinder, plus dual overhead camshaft design. Variable Cam Timing improves engine performance, fuel economy and power."
that is taken from the Ford site, this is the engine that's in the new T-Birds....an engine that creates WAY more power with less fuel....

maybe the next engine swap to be done? :D unfortunately, not by me :( don't have the $$$ or time to attempt something like that

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
bah, that smaller than my V6 I'm building :D someone just built a naturally asperated 4.2L that made 265rwhp/280rwtq, had over 240rwtq from 2000-5500rpm and it was faily cheap to build, I would think that that 3.9L DOHC would be hard to squeese any more power out off also.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
95ThundaChik'n said:
man, why couldn't Ford have given us T-Bird owners this kinda love back in the 90's?
They did, but they named it: "Lincoln Mark VIII" :thumbsup:

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
rancherlee said:
..... I would think that that 3.9L DOHC would be hard to squeese any more power out off also.
I'd agree, since the HP rating is at 6000 RPM.....I don't know anything about HP curves and whatnot, but max HP at that high an RMP seems unusable for the most part (how often is one driving with the engine revving that high?).

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Max Torque: 286 ft-lbs @ 4000 RPM.

I would venture to guess it can handle itself just fine daily driving. Even if peak power is at 6k, it probably still can move alright in the middle RPM range.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
ford should have raised the belt and winow line of the car to accomoadate a 351. The bird should have never been offered with a 3.8. It should have come with a 302 with dual exhaust and 230 hp standard. It should have come with a sport insturment cluster and 4 wheel disk brakes, 16x7.5 wheels 235 60 16 H speed rated tires, 11.5 inch dual piston brakes, and a track lock rear end with 3.55s as standard equipment.

The supercoupe should have come with a built up 351 windsor with 300 hp, sport springs, high performance convetional shox, abs, heavy duity cooling , jbl audio system, sc body clading, and 17x8 wheels with 245 50 17 tires. The bird should have come with a 5 speed regardless if it was a lx or sc and a automatic should have been a 400.00 dollar option.

·
Registered
287 Posts
BB,

Call Ford and tell them what you just said. Tell then to scrap that new POS body for the Bird bring back the 94-95 body witha sleek NASCAR wing in the back and hail a new era and rebirth of the american Ford muscle car.

House

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Palmguy said:
I would venture to guess it can handle itself just fine daily driving.
Yeah the one at work didn't lose to me too badly. :D

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
With the way gas prices are tending, I wouldn't mind at all if that hybrid engine that's goin into the Escape would swap into the t-bird. I hear it makes pretty good torque because of the electric motor... probably not a really fast engine, but hey 35 mpg wouldn't hurt

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
yeah eltric motors make instant tq, its great, the civic hybrids are pretty cool in a 5spd, id own one, so if the escape gets one, id might look into that, b/c i like the escapes alot, sport, useful, and atractive, its been one of the most on ford made in a while

·
Registered
164 Posts
My sister has a 2003 T-Bird and has noticed that there is nothing more that can be done to the engine other than a supercharger to squeeze out any more HP. The car is very heavy because it is a convertible. Yes, the transmission is better than a stock 4R70W, but not worth the difference if you have a transmission shop custom build you a racing 4R70W with a trans-go kit and kevlar clutches and kolene reaction plates. I have blown my sister off the line quite a few times and she cannot even come close to beating me. Thus, Ford had a nice idea, but left no room for upgrades and modifications.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Wolverine27 said:
My sister has a 2003 T-Bird and has noticed that there is nothing more that can be done to the engine other than a supercharger to squeeze out any more HP. The car is very heavy because it is a convertible. Yes, the transmission is better than a stock 4R70W, but not worth the difference if you have a transmission shop custom build you a racing 4R70W with a trans-go kit and kevlar clutches and kolene reaction plates. I have blown my sister off the line quite a few times and she cannot even come close to beating me. Thus, Ford had a nice idea, but left no room for upgrades and modifications.
Their primary target audience, or at least the majority of people who buy those things, have no interest in modding them at all.

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
I personally think the current design of thunderbird is ugly and overrated

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
azreael344 said:
I personally think the current design of thunderbird is ugly and overrated
yes sir, and a pitty to the name, im ok with the licoln LS's becuase there 4 doors and i think they look really good, but i dont know if im a big fan of the 3.9L. im sure you could get some more power out of the engines, its only puting 250hp to the crank, nissan puts 280 hp to the crank of there 3.5L v6, i doubt its like a honda s2000, where if you put any mods on it, it will not gain any power

·
Registered
287 Posts
The design should have never changed from the 94. IMO.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
JoeyICU said:

yes sir, and a pitty to the name, im ok with the licoln LS's becuase there 4 doors and i think they look really good, but i dont know if im a big fan of the 3.9L. im sure you could get some more power out of the engines, its only puting 250hp to the crank, nissan puts 280 hp to the crank of there 3.5L v6, i doubt its like a honda s2000, where if you put any mods on it, it will not gain any power
2003+ 3.9L engines are up to 280 bhp.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts