TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do Driver Aids Make Us Worse Drivers?

Well, duh!

Most of you guys wont remember but in the seventies the speed limits were dropped to 55 from 70. Finally reason and common sense won out and the fed limit was raised to 65, not back all the way as a sop to the few that were sure there would be carnage on the highway, resulting.

Not surprising to us that actually DROVE on the freeways the accident and death rate went DOWN. Significantly.. Like almost ten percent, IIRC.

Another duh.

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
I remember as a kid my grandfather used to say the same thing about mounting a metal spike on the steering wheel pointed directly at the driver's throat, and watch how quickly the number of accidents drops.

I definitely think these kinds of things are making people worse drivers. The worst for me was the first time I saw the commercial for the Lexus that parallel parks itself. If you can't figure out how to do that yourself, you don't know how to drive, and you deserve to park far away so you can get used to walking.

On a side note though, if you want to have some fun messing with the adaptive cruise control system, next time you are on the highway and you come across a new mercedes holding a steady speed (usually in the left lane of course), change lanes in front of him and lightly hit the brakes, and watch the cruise control slam on his brakes for him because it doesn't have enough room to stop. Then move over to the right, his car will resume speed, then when you move back, it will slam on them again. It's pretty funny because it usually takes 4 or 5 times of doing this before the guy turns off his cruise control and/or moves out of the left lane.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Not surprising to us that actually DROVE on the freeways the accident and death rate went DOWN. Significantly.. Like almost ten percent, IIRC.

Another duh.
Do you have any documented statistics to back up that statement?

I was only able to find statistics back to 1999. Not arguing, but I've heard that a lot, but nobody has ever presented stats.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember as a kid my grandfather used to say the same thing about mounting a metal spike on the steering wheel pointed directly at the driver's throat, and watch how quickly the number of accidents drops.
On the same scheme..

Worst steering wheel design ever. BTW, inspired the Ford "Deep Dish" steering wheel featured in ads for 56.
Even though they removed the chest cracker in 57, my parents thought it was a great idea when I put a 58 impala wheel on my car.
On a side note though, if you want to have some fun messing with the adaptive cruise control system, next time you are on the highway and you come across a new mercedes holding a steady speed (usually in the left lane of course), change lanes in front of him and lightly hit the brakes, and watch the cruise control slam on his brakes for him because it doesn't have enough room to stop. Then move over to the right, his car will resume speed, then when you move back, it will slam on them again. It's pretty funny because it usually takes 4 or 5 times of doing this before the guy turns off his cruise control and/or moves out of the left lane.
Mikey, you're either evil or nucking futz.. Are you sure you arent a secret Chevy pickup driver?

·
Super Moderator
11,931 Posts
Do you have any documented statistics to back up that statement?

I was only able to find statistics back to 1999. Not arguing, but I've heard that a lot, but nobody has ever presented stats.
After doing a quick search I found this story. Discussing both New Zealand and the USA. Here's the data backing up that statement.

http://www.investigatemagazine.com/july00speed.htm

Here's another interesting read if your so inclined ...

Speed Limit Fears: Lying with Science.

http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/lyingwsc.html

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, all the data in the article is pertinent but the point I was making was that driving 55 lulled you into a sense of safety. And it was boring.. bet the numbers of those falling asleep at the wheel might show that.

When the limit went up and people started driving at 73 instead of 63, it triggers a sense of, and need for, awareness. I think Montana's records will show that.

Another factor is that someone who's speeding is probably doing 85. Same then. But a helluva speed differential in majority traffic flow.

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
I don't slam on the brakes, just start slowing down a little bit, but the system in the new Mercedes works by keeping enough of a stopping distance, so when someone comes in front of the car and slows down, the car doesn't immediately know what to make of it, so it stops much harder. Maybe a little bit evil, but then again if they weren't holding a steady 67mph in the left hand lane, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to do that in the first place, so I don't feel too bad about it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
http://www.hwysafety.com/hwy_montana.htm

The link I just posted discusses the Montana speed limit situation in depth...having speed limits that are "safe and prudent" leads to more accidents.

In Kingsport, TN there is a section of I-26 (formerly I-181) where the speed limit was 55 and people would regularly fall asleep at the wheel and go across the median into oncoming traffic. This happened with frightening regularity...

When the speed limit raised to 70 in this area, the number of people falling asleep was much lower...then they dropped it to 65, then 60 and the phenomenon was happening again....so now they have a cable-barrier separating the lanes of traffic from one another and maintain the 60 speed limit.

·
Super Moderator
10,417 Posts
When the speed limit raised to 70 in this area, the number of people falling asleep was much lower...then they dropped it to 65, then 60 and the phenomenon was happening again....so now they have a cable-barrier separating the lanes of traffic from one another and maintain the 60 speed limit.
I love the cables; since they installed them the cops don't seem to even patrol the interstate anymore, only sit at places.

It makes it really hard for them to turn around to catch someone...

Any there's only a few places to sit; Anyone caught speeding by a Trooper parked in plain sight deserves it.

The speed limits are 70 here; but it runs much faster, usually.

The accidents are usually old people driving too slow, or failing to yield to traffic; or soccer-moms texting while driving or some such idiocy.

There's a new trend of teens driving 20 below the speed limit in the fast lane here; there have been a few injured. Semis don't swerve fast, lol.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a new trend of teens driving 20 below the speed limit in the fast lane here; there have been a few injured. Semis don't swerve fast, lol.
At one point in time, maybe nineties, the Ohio HP was actually ticketing freeway drivers for impeding.

A big howl of protest by the usual suspects but I dont know if they still do that. I HAVE recently seen bears {archaic, huh!} get behind slow inner lane drivers and show impatience, but they dont pull them over.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Another factor is that someone who's speeding is probably doing 85. Same then. But a helluva speed differential in majority traffic flow.
I agree, it's not so much the speed but the differential in speed. If everyone else is doing 85, it's the guy doing 60 who is a hazard. ;)

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Let me describe AZ as I first saw it with this video clip.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7GKP_dB3Hmw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Super Moderator
10,417 Posts
Let me describe AZ as I first saw it with this video clip.
That looks like the 7:30-8:00 rush hour on I-40/75 thru Knoxvegas, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts