TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just playing with my 3.8 N/A here.

I want to get a bigger TB and replace the little POS straw sucker that comes stock. I checked SummitRacing, but they list 3.8 TB's for Mustangs... will that fit a '96 3.8 Tbird? Sensors hook up and all? Will my computer go insane if I put it on? It's a 70mm btw... sounds a bit bigger than I need... but hey, my girlfriend always says size does matter. :rolleyes:

seriously, is 70mm like, too big to the point where it would hurt performance... will it even hook up to the intake manifold? Would I need to upgrade the stock MAF? What size? What about intake tube? Would that need to change size too or can I just run adapters? There's a lot of room between MAF size, intake tube size, and it all goes into this tiny hole Ford calls a throttle body. The stock TB on my bird looks about as big as a Civics exhaust pipe... not very impressive to say the least... How about it guys?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
that 70mm throttle body on summit is for the 99+ split-port 3.8L, which will not fit your car. The 56mm throttle body BBK makes for the 94-98 mustang will fit your car though. But honestly for that kind of money it's not worth the extra 6mm. You can halfshaft and port your stock throttle body, which frees up about 112 square mm of area in the throttle body at the shaft, which is the choke point. And also smooth out the ridge on the inner diameter of the housing, which will decrease turbulence and in turn increase velocity. I also do this as a service if you're interested. It's $60 plus a $20 core charge.

I also do 60mm throttle body's which are removed from an 86-93 Mustang 5.0L and I adapt them to fit the 3.8 intake and throttle linkage. I also port and halfshaft these as well. These flow a LOT more than the halfshafed stock throttle body and even the 56mm BBK throttle body at a fraction of the cost of the BBK. I sell these for $120 plus $20 core charge.

And then I have a 65mm throttle body from a 4.6L which measures at 65mm. I adapt these to the 3.8 intake and linkage and also incorporate a remote mounted IAC since this throttle body doesnt have an IAC mounted on it. These are 180 + 20 core charge, but I would only recommend this on a high horsepower application or with a power adder. The 60mm is plenty for most NA applications.

-Thomas

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That 60mm T-body sounds like a good bet. What about MAF? Do I need to go bigger than stock on it too? Or will it handle a 60mm?

Where do I send the money to buy one from you. I have looked at the T-body off the 5.0's in the scrap yard, but all the sensors don't hook up with my '96's and most of the linkage doesn't match either... how'd you adapt it? Also, the piping, do I need sizers to fit this 60mm T-body?

Let me know! (And any info on a new cam would be great, I want to get the cam replaced, not too agressive over stock, just enough to use all this airflow I've created.)

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
this is true. And I forgot to mention the rest, I was tired and wanted sleep. But to really justify a larger throttle body you really need ported intakes. Some people say you need mroe than just ported intakes to need the flow of a larger throttle body, but I disagree because I have experienced it myself. I put on ported intakes a few years back and a 60mm throttle body the very next week. The ported intakes make a decent difference but when I put that larger throttle body it just brought the engine to life. I couldnt believe the difference it made. And this was on stock heads, cam, rockers, etc.
-Thomas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts