TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was just sent to me from the primary dealer for 02-05 T-bird aftermarket parts.

Aaron Scott said:
Our friend and fellow Tbirder, Glen Lewis, contacted Ford this year and asked them about the possiblility of the
Thunderbird making it back into production, at some point in the near future. This is what they had to say:

Dear Glen,

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. We appreciate the time you have taken to write us.

The Thunderbird is a timeless classic, an important part of Ford Motor Company’s heritage, and this
country's automotive history. At this time, we do not have an estimated date for when the new Thunderbird
will be available at dealerships.

The Ford Thunderbird will make its return as a concept car. The new concept car is an indication of where
we’re headed with the Thunderbird when it goes back into production for the new millennium. It's also just
one example of the exciting and dynamic new cars we plan to introduce in the future.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,
Norma
Ford Motor Company
Ford Marketing Program Headquarters

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Cool! That is awesome news!

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
Sounds like an old press release from 1999 describing the 02. Nasser isn't there anymore. Googling "The new concept car is an indication of where we’re headed with the Thunderbird when it goes back into production for the new millennium." turns up a few articles, some include these:

http://media.ford.com/article_print.cfm?article_id=3239

http://www.auto123.com/en/news/t-bird?artid=562

Plus, "when it goes back into production for the new millennium" sounds dated too, since it already happened 10 years ago.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yes, this is exactly what you guys want to see: a "new" Thunderbird for the 2000s.
If you are lucky, it will have an MP3 player built in. :)

-mm

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Damn :( I got excited because I wanted to see it! The Ford Inceptor looks pretty cool, IMO. I probably couldnt afford one until it was 10 years old though, lol.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like an old press release from 1999 describing the 02. Nasser isn't there anymore. Googling "The new concept car is an indication of where we’re headed with the Thunderbird when it goes back into production for the new millennium." turns up a few articles, some include these:

http://media.ford.com/article_print.cfm?article_id=3239

http://www.auto123.com/en/news/t-bird?artid=562

Plus, "when it goes back into production for the new millennium" sounds dated too, since it already happened 10 years ago.
Hmmm yeah, someone brought up the same thing here. http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33939

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
I doubt they will make a Thunderbird again, not for a long time. Wishful thinking, maybe someday.

·
Super Moderator
10,403 Posts
the new millennium ones were disgusting IMHO
They were a Ford Jaguar with a mini-sized version of my 63 bird bolted on.

The first time I saw one, I didn't know whether to cry or puke...

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They were a Ford Jaguar with a mini-sized version of my 63 bird bolted on.
Uh... no the 12th generation were based on the 1st gen 55-56, not the 3rd gen 61-63. The only thing that could be considered similar between 3rd and 12th gen is the round taillight from which both were taken from the 1st gen styling. Oh, and they are both convertibles. Nice try though.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Here's my thoughts on a new Thunderbird...

2002-2005 brought us a retro Thunderbird modeled after the original 1955-1957 Thunderbird..

I think 2013 should bring us a retro Thunderbird modeled after the 89-97 Thunderbird..

With an updated Interior & Exterior, and all Ford's new Engine options!

I hope they do bring back the Thunderbird..

Any attention the new Thunderbird would get...

Might actually encourage the aftermarket companies..To start making more Thunderbird parts for us! :zdunno:

I'm not sure if I would buy a new Thunderbird or not though..

It depends on how it looked..

Rayo..

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As long as we can skip the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th generations. Ford will never let it beat the Mustang so we'll never have a ton of aftermarket parts unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
16,821 Posts
Here's my thoughts on a new Thunderbird...

2002-2005 brought us a retro Thunderbird modeled after the original 1955-1957 Thunderbird..

I think 2013 should bring us a retro Thunderbird modeled after the 89-97 Thunderbird..

With an updated Interior & Exterior, and all Ford's new Engine options!

I hope they do bring back the Thunderbird..

Any attention the new Thunderbird would get...

Might actually encourage the aftermarket companies..To start making more Thunderbird parts for us! :zdunno:

I'm not sure if I would buy a new Thunderbird or not though..

It depends on how it looked..

Rayo..
Retro today is the equivalent of Brougham in the 70s, maybe it should be a 77 Tbird. Fake luggage straps on the decklid and all lol

If there was a retro MN12 I bet it wouldn't be far from this

:tongue:

·
̇
3,702 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
Ford will never let it beat the Mustang so we'll never have a ton of aftermarket parts unfortunately.

Unfortunately.. :(

XR7-4.6 said:
If there was a retro MN12 I bet it wouldn't be far from this

Yeah if they made a retro MN12 Thunderbird..

They probably would... Shorten the wheel base..

I know the trend nowadays for a lot of Car Manufacturers..

Is to bloat it all out, and throw some big wheels on it..

Ford still has a lot of pride in the Thunderbird though..

I don't think they would bring it back..Just to ruin it by bloating it out and throwin some big wheels on it..

If they bring it back..I hope they do it right..With some nice sleek lines.. :)

I guess us Thunderbird enthusiasts will have to wait and see..

Rayo..

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
They would probibly rename it anyway cause the Thunderbrd wouldnt go with their "F" and "E"series of cars...... Fusion, Focus, Flex, Fiesta, F-series truck, Expedition, Explorer, Edge, Escape, E series van

1 - 20 of 28 Posts