TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just put new tires on my 95 Mark Viii. I got 4- 225/60- 16 fuzion HRi's. The old Goodyear eagle RSA's shook a little at highway speed (70+). These new tires were put on by clown fair and these have a slight shimmey at 55-60. I'm thinking of going back tomorrow and seeing if they could rebalance them. Other then that, man, these things are pretty sticky.

does anyone have any suggestions?:(

steve

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Clown Fair :confused: Never heard of them. I'd say that's your problem there.

Do they call their service bays rings? "Please pull your car in to ring #2."

Other than that I'd say driveshaft but, you've got a Mark VIII. Is the rest of the suspension in decent shape? It could be a bad bushing or control arm.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the drive line and suspension are in good condition. I just had it checked out by my mechanic. The vibration moved speeds, so i do not think its an imbalanced drive shaft. Harmonic oscillation would increase with angular velocity. I still feel like its an imbalanced tire. Bah town fair tire. Bah.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Warped rotor maybe?

Jay

·
Super Moderator
7,621 Posts
Sounds to me like they didn't do a good job balancing the tires. Take it back and have them rebalance them, and hopefully that will take care of your problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Ask them when the last time the calibration of their balancing machine was checked.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hey guys,

I just put new tires on my 95 Mark Viii. I got 4- 225/60- 16 fuzion HRi's. The old Goodyear eagle RSA's shook a little at highway speed (70+). These new tires were put on by clown fair and these have a slight shimmey at 55-60. I'm thinking of going back tomorrow and seeing if they could rebalance them. Other then that, man, these things are pretty sticky.

does anyone have any suggestions?:(

steve
Steve, I have a few questions for ya...

Stock or aftermarket, or stock wheels from another vehicle??

Have a look at each wheel & tire assembly and see if there is one or more that has an extreme amount of weight on it. If so then I would ask for that or those to be MATCH-BALANCED.

A slight shimmey IMO means something is not terribly wrong and could easily not even be tire/wheel related. I would not spend ALOT of time and money messing with the tire balancing.

Brad

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stock wheels, stock sized tires. It should not be a challange for them. I'm just going back once more, getting my money back for the allignment they suckered me into and going somewhere else.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Stevo1111, You don't say which Town Fair you went to, but what do you expect from minimally paid, journeymen technicians?

When I lived in CT, the Stratford Town Fair was only good for buying the tires. You took them to another Town Fair to have them mounted if you didn't want the tires damaged in the mounting process.

I never had a complaint with the Hamden Town Fair, but then again I was driving Chrysler K-cars and Omnis at the time. Very definitely not pushing for 70 in them.

BTW, Where TH can you drive 70 in CT????

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The speed limit is 65 on the highway here now. Traffic travels at 70-75 along 84 and often cruises well into the 80's on 91 during rush hour. To travel at 65 is often unsafe. Anyway, the townfair in Vernon, not very professional at all.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Steve1111,

Wild Times in CT now that Gov. O'Neill is gone. He hated speeders and truckers.

I-95 must still be a some what moving parking lot.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, 95 is basically bumper to bumper, going from 60 to 0 then 0 to 60 in like 15 seconds.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Stevo, Yeah, but so does Metro North.

I lived both realities in the 80s. At least I had Tiny Markle to listen to. He's gone and WICC is not the same, either.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I went back to townfare. Had them rebalance the tires and give me my free alignment. It is smooth as glass now, well above the legal speed limit. However, the allignment genious has left the wheel tilted about 10degrees to the right and it now pulls to the left. I saw the machine he alligned the car with and it showed that it was done correctly. I'm through with them. Do you guys think it's worth going somewhere else to get it alligned? It's hardly noticeable while driving and doesn't drive me nuts, but not a great thing none the less.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
I wouldn't know who to recommend. The "Firestone" in Milford tried ripping me off, but I'm sure the same ownership and management isn't there anymore.

Any semi-reputable Ford Stealerships out there?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I have the same problem. Does anyone have access to hubcentric rings? If I can get the measurements, like the outer diameter, can someone get me a set. I personally installed my tires on a balancer that I calibrated, and I have the same vibration that I had with the old tires.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts